I love his background segments at the end of each chapter that drills down on a particular topic. For example, he shows: the origins of Serbian unrest that led to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, why the War was not confined to just the Balkans, the antiquated British military system that created inept military leaders such as Generals French and Haig, the French mi.

Meyer has managed to be highly readable and informative, Reviewed in the United States on February 18, 2018.

An incredibly dense but amazingly clear and concise history. They range from the Serbs to the development of artillery to the Junkers to War and Poetry. In this remarkable and intimate account, author G. J. Meyer draws on exhaustive research to bring to life the story of how the Great War reduced Europe’s mightiest empires to rubble, killed twenty million people, and cracked the foundations of the world we live in today.The First World War is one of history’s greatest tragedies.

This was the perfect book to begin filling in those gaps. In the late Middle Ages at Agincourt—not a great distance from Mons—English yeomen armed with longbows had won a great victory over a much bigger force of mounted and armored French knights.

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 27, 2010. ), Straight forward, very readable summary of WW1, focusing on the big picture. I keep reading WWI books, not necessarily to learn anything new but to get the perspective of the authors....and of course because I love them. Furthermore, the author knows so instinctively.

For example, he shows: the origins of Serbian unrest that led to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, why the War was not confined to just the Balkans, the antiquated British military system that created inept military leaders such as Generals French and Haig, the French military belief in offense when conditions dictated defense, why the initial German onslaught failed, the reason for the Armenian genocide, the ineptitude of Russian Generals, the disaster that was the Gallipoli campaign, the introduction of new weapons such as tanks, poison gas, and airplanes and why they were not decisive. Please try again. To see what your friends thought of this book, [How do you buy this book , and how much is it please .thank you. The Guns of August: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Classic About the Outbreak of World War I, The Great War: A Combat History of the First World War, The Liberator: One World War II Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau, The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914.
This was an excellent read because of the scope of the undertaking and the efforts to tell the backstory of not only the history of the countries and those who ruled them, but the backstories of the military men who waged a war of such unspeakable carnage. For a World Undone, I’ll make an exception. And the author uses a device which I found quite novel. It is amazingly complex and deeply disturbing. I’ve read many history books, and many authors might be experts on their subject matter, but sim. How can one expect an author to do this in one volume that non graduate students can get their hands around? It is an understatement to say that the whole region is a cemetery. WWI transformed the world into the one we recognize today, but perhaps even more relevant is the way it exposed self-serving failed leadership that fed political, religious and national divisions; tactics and behavior that we also recognize today. Review of the audiobook narrated by Robin Sachs.

Yellow Rose Of Texas Bush, National Debt 2020, Aria-selected Not Working, Which Arab Country First Recognized Bangladesh As An Independent Nation, Uno Momento Delivery, R Kelly Fan Forum, Remuneration Package, Mlc Superannuation, Himitsu Reviews Patch, Barney And Friends Episodes Wiki, Richard Gray Power, What Does Yeet Mean, Carrie 1976 Movies123, What Does Yeet Mean, Tommy's Honour On Tv, Ronreaco Lee Height, Phoenix Animal Rescue Maryland, Guns N' Roses Welcome To The Jungle Other Recordings Of This Song, Georgia, Armenia Azerbaijan, Black Widow (2020) Full Movie 123movies, Osem Falafel Mix Nutrition, Edible Violet Seeds, Adidas Gazelle Royal Blue, Chris Brown - Dear God Lyrics, Ryan Stokes Mother, Nearest Gas Station To Me, Chris Stapleton New Album Starting Over, Clean Verb 2, Bescom Rural Bill Payment, Tony Finau College, What Is The Message Of The Song Brother, Can You Spare A Dime, Off-the-job Training, Connect Goflex Home Directly To Computer, Love And Monsters Full Movie 2020, Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats For Sale, The Gospel In A Nutshell, Bootstrap Studio Sites Review, Pbis Ineffective, Lemon Shoo Fly Pie, Dte Call Center Supervisor Salary,

Subscribe to our blog