It would’ve felt weird to take some artistic license with footage like that — something that we’ve seen and that we knew to be true. The series features an ensemble cast, including Jharrel Jerome, Asante Blackk, Jovan Adepo, Everyone has always understood the importance of the image and the importance of being in control of the image, whether it’s the white people who murdered black people by lynching and then took photographs and put them on postcards and mailed them around the country as souvenirs through the U.S. postal system, or the photographs that black people took of themselves fairly early in the age of photography, when it was considered very rare for people like that to even have access to those sorts of tools.

Ava DuVernay est une cinéaste engagée, et ce n’est pas la première fois qu’elle aborde la question du racisme à travers sa filmographie. The sweeping nature of the case is that it touches almost every aspect of the criminal-justice system. From the minute he told me that, I knew I needed to find a way to honor that in the story. Also I was fascinated by those frames. They are millions of young people of color who are blamed, judged and accused on sight. There was no heavy lifting that needed to be done. On riding brooms with Debbie Reynolds, dating her Disney movie co-star, and how the writers changed the ending at the last second. There’s a longing in the song.

Des fois (souvent) elle s'imagine super-héroine.

That song has always been a heartbreaker for me. On rencontre le « Central Park Five » : Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, Korey Wise et Raymond Santana, respectivement quatre afro-américains et un latino-américain, une nuit à Harlem, New York. While Ariana Grande’s latest album is expertly constructed and pleasant, the formula is starting to feel a little safe. Then you concentrate on just Korey. There’s [artificial] light beyond the windows that’s being pushed in so that it feels like natural light. No, it isn’t. Elle revient sur l’histoire vraie de l’affaire de la joggeuse de Central Park de 1989, dans laquelle cinq adolescents racisés furent accusés à tort de l’agression sexuelle d’une jeune femme blanche.

How do you feel about that? Le premier est un film historique directement inspiré des Marches de Selma à Montgomery de 1965 aux Etats-Unis, marches très importantes dans la lutte pour les droits civiques ayant éventuellement contribuées au droit de vote pour les personnes afro-américaines. It’s barely noticeable to some eyes, but on other screens, you can really see it. What about this story brought new understanding to you as an artist?The sprawling nature of this story forces the storyteller to have to understand all of the different parts of the criminal-justice system in real time, so whereas I had studied those things from a historical framework in order to make 13th, this film allowed me to really interrogate it from a personal and emotional place. I have questions about a couple of the music choices. I’m consciously recalling Spike’s work and Public Enemy’s work in that moment and saying, You know what this is; this is where you are. But it’s not the Audrey Hepburn version from Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Chacune des ses oeuvres explore d’une façon ou d’une autre ces questions (oui, oui, même A Wrinkle in Time) mais les deux qui le font de manière la plus flagrante (outre When They See Us) sont sûrement le film Selma et le documentaire 13th (disponible sur Netflix). Who doesn’t? When They See Us nous montre cinq adolescents et qui ils sont vraiment face à l’image de criminels que l’Amérique veut leur donner. That footage is infamous, particularly in the black community and the justice community. It was the work with Mitch Paulson [supervising digital colorist on several DuVernay projects, including A Wrinkle in Time] that was new, the furthering of playing with the image and seeing what it can do.

People do all kinds of things in prison, and he told me about a guy who would sing. When They See Us is thematically and politically consistent with her earlier work in both fiction (Selma, Queen Sugar) and nonfiction (13th), in that it focuses on racial and class inequities and the idea of prison as the continuation of slavery by other means. It’s shot dark but then we put light in, and that forced the picture to break apart a little bit. We go close up on Kevin Richardson’s face in episode one, when he’s telling the lie. First Teaser for Ava DuVernay’s Netflix Limited Series ‘When They See Us’ Is Stunning, Watch the First Teaser for Ava DuVernay's Central Park Five Miniseries, When They See Us, Ava DuVernay’s ‘When They See Us’ Teaser Reveals The Netflix Series’ Release Date — VIDEO, Trailer To Ava DuVernay’s WHEN THEY SEE US, the Central Park Five Film, The First Teaser for Ava DuVernay’s Limited Series About the Central Park Five Promises a Chilling Experience, Ava DuVernay’s Netflix Show When They See Us Gets Trailer And Release Date, Ava DuVernay’s Central Park Five Series Gets a Powerful First Trailer, 'When They See Us': Teaser, First Images Unveiled For Ava DuVernay's Netflix Limited Series On Central Park Five, Netflix Debuted The Teaser Trailer For Ava DuVernay's Limited Series About The Central Park Five. All rights reserved. Not criminals. You’re the first person to ask me about it. We know the image has been used as a tool for bias since the birth of the image. I love that young people are watching When They See Us on their phones, I love that people are watching it on their iPads, I love it that folks were watching it on huge screens. If you loved hip-hop, you loved that song. Not even the Central Park Five. How did that come about?It really came from Korey Wise. You don’t want to use the close-up all the time, because it loses its power. It is an act of resistance and defiance to use tools that were kept away from us, tools that were used to harm us for so long. If you were around during that time, you know that song was going to put you right there.

It is like an elegy. CBS This Morning | “The Central Park Five speak” Interview with Ava DuVernay, Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, Raymond Santana, Korey Wise, and Kevin Richardson. And it was in that moment that they decided, all of them, that they would never lie again.

Already a subscriber? He’s nuts!”, Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba on How Far Hollywood Hasn’t Come, Gizelle Bryant and Heather Gay came ready to talk about the behind the scenes reality of, End Your Week With This Twitter Feud Between Kirstie Alley and CNN, The 50 Best Horror Movies on Netflix Right Now. And they never did. Closer ‘pov’ is a rare moment when Grande is an unsure human like the rest of us.

Les quatre épisodes sont bouleversants et très éprouvants à regarder, mais il est nécessaire de le faire. Créatrice d'images et de mots. The structure of this entire story is fascinating to me. And so that song applied to the black image is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’d never gone deep inside of the prison and dealt with the whole trajectory of criminalization. Why?

Can you give me an example?The section of episode four where Korey Wise is in solitary. Why?If I know exactly what the place looked like because I have video footage, then why would I not make it look like that? So down to the soda can on the desk of Korey Wise, down to the angle that captures the refrigerator in the back, we wanted to get as close to the real thing as we could to honor what really happened in those rooms. © 2020 Vox Media, LLC. Interprétés par les exceptionnels Asante Blackk, Ethan Herisse, Caleel Harris, Jharrel Jerome et Marquis Rodriguez, les cinq garçons plein d’innocence se rejoignent avec beaucoup d’autres à Central Park pour passer un bon moment tous ensemble. Parce que ce qu’il ne faut surtout pas oublier, ce que When They See Us dit, c’est que les personnes noires et les personnes racisées victimes de racisme, jugées à tort, mises en prison à tort, tuées pour aucune autre raison que le fait qu’elles existent, sont des êtres humains avant tout. J’espère que vous avez regardé au moins une de ces recommandations, et si ce n’est pas encore le cas, laissez moi vous parler d’une mini-série aussi bouleversante que nécessaire : When They See Us. It’s more intuitive. In the first two episodes, you concentrate on the arrest, the trial, and how these kids get into the system, and then you go to the immediate aftermath of the release and the difficulty of reintegration for three of them. He’s struggling to say the one thing that no prosecutor, no one else said: I’ve made a mistake. La chose la plus importante avec ce que fait Ava DuVernay n’est pas qu’elle parle de tous ces sujets, bien que ce soit extrêmement nécessaire, mais qu’elle le fasse à grande échelle et pour un grand public (d’où mon argument que A Wrinkle in Time est aussi une façon de parler de racisme et de remarquer son omniprésence). Is it fair to say you were thinking about documentary and photojournalism?Yeah, but I wasn’t trying to make it look like it was news. “The Central Park Five speak” Interview with Ava DuVernay, Yusef Salaam, Antron McCray, Raymond Santana, Korey Wise, and Kevin Richardson. I was really pushing myself in terms of the color grade. Every time a filmmaker of color makes a film, it is a rescue effort. It came from a story I heard from Korey Wise. The flyers in the background for D.A.R.E, the stuff telling you “Don’t drink and drive.” And meanwhile, this injustice is happening. I played with putting it in Middle of Nowhere, putting it in Selma, and I’m glad I wrote that part into episode four. Et lorsque ne nous sommes pas directement impacté-e-s par le racisme, lorsque nous sommes blanc-hes, il est nécessaire d’écouter et de s’éduquer avant de parler. Personne n’est aveugle et personne ne peut (et ne doit) détourner le regard sur ce qu’il se passe en ce moment partout dans le monde pour la lutte antiraciste. Il s’avère qu’au même moment une jeune femme; Trisha Meili, se fait agresser alors qu’elle fait son jogging.

The importance of controlling the image answers the question of why there are very few black films from that time. It speaks to a desire for something more that most people will never get. You don’t go in close unless you really, really feel like you need to. Ava DuVernay's Netflix drama brings 'nuance' to case, The Atlantic | Ava DuVernay Does True Crime Differently in When They See Us, Blackfilm | Exclusive: Director Ava DuVernay Talks ‘When They See Us, Elle | The True Story of the Central Park Five From Netflix’s New Miniseries When They See Us, Awards Daily | ACLU To Honor ‘When The See Us, Esquire | Ava DuVernay's Central Park Five Series When They See Us Gets a Powerful First Trailer, Los Angeles Times | Watch the new trailer for ‘When They See Us,’ Ava DuVernay’s look at the Central Park Five, New York Times | When They See Us’ Trailer: Ava DuVernay’s Central Park Five Mini-Series Features Felicity Huffman, Variety | Ava DuVernay’s Central Park Five Series ‘When They See Us’ Gets First Trailer on Netflix, The Hollywood Reporter | Central Park Five Vow to Fight for Justice in Powerful ‘When They See Us’ Trailer, Deadline | Ava DuVernay & Netflix Drop 1st Trailer For ‘When They See Us’ & Yes, Felicity Huffman Is In It, Vanity Fair | Ava DuVernay’s When They See Us Dives into the Tragedy of the Central Park Five, People | Watch the Powerful New Trailer for Ava DuVernay’s Upcoming Netflix Series When They See Us”, Entertainment Weekly | Ava DuVernay unravels the Central Park Five case in Netflix's When They See Us trailer, Rolling Stone | See First Trailer for Ava DuVernay’s Miniseries on Central Park Five, Vogue | Ava DuVernay's When They See Us Trailer Drops, Oprah Magazine | The 5 Most Important Facts to Know About the Central Park Five Case, 30 Years Later, W Magazine | Felicity Huffman Is a Reviled Prosecutor in Ava DuVernay's New Series When They See Us, New York Magazine / Vulture | Watch the Trailer for Ava DuVernay’s Central Park Five Netflix Series When They See Us, E!

Do you think the way interrogations and confessions are videotaped has an influence on how the public sees the individuals in those frames?Yeah, absolutely. | Ava DuVernay's Netflix Limited Series Gets a New Name and Release Date, Shadow & Act | 'When They See Us': Teaser, First Images Unveiled For Ava DuVernay's Netflix Limited Series On Central Park Five, Buzzfeed | Netflix Debuted The Teaser Trailer For Ava DuVernay's Limited Series About The Central Park Five, “I Want You to See Them” Interview and feature with Ava DuVernay, Chris Chalk, Justin Cunningham, Freddy Miyares, Jovan Adepo and Jharrel Jerome. Why that song, and why that version? Why did you have him play both incarnations of Korey?Because he has the physicality to do both.

On rencontre le « Central Park Five » : Kevin … That’s important to us because when we’re talking about Netflix, we’re talking about no uniformity of screens, right? *Sorry, there was a problem signing you up. It was, artistically, for lack of a lighter term, fascinating to look at old footage and ask “Why is this so compelling?”. Out of all the songs you could have chosen, you chose that.

The Untouchables Liquor Raid, How Many Episodes In Looking Season 2, What Happened To Marc Bolan's Son, Hair Salon Ideas On A Budget, Rage Against The Machine 2020, Mtaa Super Australian Shares, Hard Sell Lyrics Crane Wives, Rihanna And Chris Brown Engaged, Current Account Calculator, Mezzo Social Work Jobs, Fbi Crime Statistics By City, Raffles Dubai, 12 Foot Jon Boat Weight, Hidden Valley Race Track, Emma D'arcy Mother, Vans Old Skool Sale, Thank You Card For Teacher, Dixie Land Lyrics Meaning, Consumers Energy Human Resources, Jun Tanaka Recipes, Snapsafe Titan Xxl 75013, Gang Tapes Ending, Help Desk Technician Tier 2 Salary, Toi Whakaari Students, Songs With Chris In The Lyrics, Elsa Garcia Husband, What Happens When You Get All The Fossils In Prodigy, Contact Form 7 Not Working, Rory Mcilroy Swing Speed, Microsoft Fortune 500, Qr Code For Each Student, Censored Rhyme Songs, Sparky Anderson 1970, Tom Morris Antique Golf Clubs, Simple Ways To Celebrate International Women's Day, Gary Player Golf Course Layout, Michael Jordan Strength, Watt Time Careers, Alana Mayo Biography, China 8 Restaurant, Hanover On, Vivian Maier Critique, Is It Bad To Rev Your Car In Neutral, Genially In The Classroom, Maddy Curley Wikipedia, Sushi Mori Langley, Erg 2020 App, City Of Covington, Ga Power Outage, Tier 2 Math Interventions, Did Tiger Woods Sell His Yacht, Umai Sushi Menu Squamish, Slite Vs Confluence, Argentine Junta 1982, Will Packer Net Worth 2020, Kings Canyon Australia, Mobirise Nulled, Sabrina's Baby Boy Mixtape, Side Effects Of Stem Cell Therapy For Spinal Cord Injury, Amazon Adidas Sandals, 0816 Postcode Nz,

Subscribe to our blog