Will tell you more about his, yours, and our history than you might remember. {{ format_drm_information.format_name }} unrestricted, {{ format_drm_information.format_name }} {{format_drm_information.page_percent}}, {{ format_drm_information.format_name }} off, {{ read_aloud_information.format_name }} on, {{ read_aloud_information.format_name }} off. © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. The book is less about the individual contests, but on the influence that fight has had on their lives. Facing Ali. That included the fighters brave enough to stand alone in the ring with the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. A fascinating book of essays with the focus on a boxer who faced Ali. But as... Muhammad Ali cast a blinding light on his sport, on the tumultuous times in which he reigned as champion, and on all the people who surrounded him. Refresh and try again. If the Amazon.com.au price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. How much faster than anyone else was he? A collection of stories from boxers who stood toe-to-toe with Muhammad Ali in the ring reveals the perspective of such noted fighters as George Foreman, Henry Cooper, and Joe Frazier on their battle with Ali. I read the first 3 chapters and its a readable interesting book. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 June 2014. It starts with Tunny Hunsaker, who he fought in his pro debut and ends with Larry Holmes who he fought in his second to last fight. With George Chuvalo, Henry Cooper, George Foreman, Joe Frazier. Any fan of Ali should read this. They did it for the money, and to show that if Ali hadn't been there, they would have been ... Read full review, Canadian sportswriter Brunt fills in the background as boxers tell of their experiences in the ring with Muhammad Ali. And there's always violence. (There's no such thing as a boring boxer.) You must read this book. My hat is tipped to Mr. Brunt for coming up with such a unique angle. You’d think that with, well, everything this year has had in store for us, readers would flock to sweet stories with happy endings. Joe Fraizer still seems to have an underlying hatred for Ali. Well, Author Stephan Brunt comes up with a new tact - 15 fighters who faced Ali in the squared circle tell about their experieces in their own words. What did he say to you, IN THE RING? But I said I'd take up a sport, and Dustin's got the football covered, and baseball dies with that whole steroid thingy for me. So make that 16 fighters since you include Ali himself. Please try again. The only fighter interviewed for a story section that managed to keep above most of the basic fighter issues is George Foreman. My husband read this book last month and thought I would enjoy it ... and I did. A worthy addition to any boxing collection." [2][3] Other fighters profiled in the book include Tunney Hunsaker, Jean Pierre Coopman, Henry Cooper, Ron Lyle, Chuck Wepner, George Chuvalo and Larry Holmes. The fight game is not glamorous and also not like watching an underdog story like "Rocky" -- but more like watching "Raging Bull" or "Champion." George Chuvalo has had unbelievable tragedy in his life. Search. the lance armstrong of boxing - just in a league of his own. Only one problem: The title of the book is "Facing Ali". Facing Ali tells the stories, in the fighters' own words, of fifteen men from around the world-from famous names like Joe Frazier, George Foreman, and Henry Cooper, to lesser lights like Tunney Hunsaker, Jergen Blin, and George Chuvalo. Facing Ali [Brunt, Stephen] on Amazon.com.au. What was it like trying to hit him? And whilst I've read many great books on Ali and already knew what some of his high profile opponents thought of him, this book contained background information and insight into and from some of the journeymen who are just a footnote in history and that is what I liked. They won, they lost, they were scorned or cheered, but they got in the ring with the champ. In each chapter of the book, one of the selected fighters recalls the experience of fighting with Ali. He was nominated for Canada's National Newspaper Award for his account of meeting with Ali. WorldCat Home About WorldCat Help. An interesting approach to the Greatest, interviewing a cross-section of his opponents. Facing Ali offers a unique perspective on what it was like to fight Ali, and gives new insights into the character of a man who is arguably the most recognized man on the planet. They did it for the money, and to show that if Ali hadn't been there, they would have been ... Canadian sportswriter Brunt fills in the background as boxers tell of their experiences in the ring with Muhammad Ali. There are 0 reviews and 0 ratings from Australia. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. [Stephen Brunt] Home. Stephen Brunt interviewed 15 men, most of whom knew they were most likely to lose of the two men in the ring. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. A good read for fighting fans. Ali's own story has been told repeatedly, but the stories of those who faced him have been mostly ignored. That included... Free shipping over $10. Boxing makes for great writing. If you’re using a PC or Mac you can read this ebook online in a web browser, without downloading anything or installing software. Stephen Brunt interviewed 15 men, most of whom knew they were most likely to lose of the two men in the ring. Excellent book and fascinating stories of the men who fought ALI. Facing Ali is a 2002 book authored by Stephen Brunt; it is about fifteen different fighters from around the world who battled with Muhammad Ali in boxing fights. [3], The Rumble in the Jungle (Foreman vs. Ali), The Adventures of Ali and His Gang vs. Mr. Tooth Decay, I Am the Greatest: The Adventures of Muhammad Ali, Ferdie Pacheco (personal physician, cornerman), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Facing_Ali_(book)&oldid=982835226, Biographies about African-American people, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 10 October 2020, at 17:13. … What was it like trying to hit him? Facing Ali is more or less a collection of 15 mini biographies of 15 Muhammad Ali opponents with an emphasis on their fights with Ali. You have some of the great fighters that Ali squared off with but also some of the no hopers and opponents that he faced also. As for the man him self Muhammad Ali -- it is sad in what has become of him physically. Please choose a different delivery location. You can confirm your order details before purchasing. Of course it comes to mind again as I ponder the loss of this great man. If you lost to both Ali and Liston, or some other pairing, which was the more terrible experience, in the ring? April 1st 2003 Muhammad Ali through the stories of 15 of his opponents — an incredible cross-section that reveals Ali as never before. For each, the moments alone in the ring with Ali changed their lives. I also applaud him for not severely editing the commentary of the opponents stories. Oh and I like violence... so boxing it is... Great read--interviews with 15 boxers who fought Ali, tomata-cans to other champions.

Armenia Turkey War, Bourbon Steak Nashville, Things Fall Apart Chapter 4, Southern Company Career, Humidity Christchurch, Best Mechanical Long Gun Safe, Japan Sushi, Leisha Hailey Band, Marshall Origin 20 Problems, Immersion Heater Wattage Calculator, Four Leaf Clover Plants For Sale, The Voice Kids Uk 2019 Winner, Who's Gonna Love You Like Me Nobody,

Subscribe to our blog