Links will open in a new tab at Amazon. One little comment about the letters on the dreidel – sham means “there”. Seriously, it is traditional to eat fried foods, especially doughnuts and latkes (fried potato pancakes) as a fun way to commemorate the miracle of the oil.

Thanks, Christian. There is no mention either of the holiday of Hanukkah, nor of the historical events that led to its establishment, in the Bible. Mourning the destruction of both temples, as well as a number of other Jewish tragedies. While the entire book of Maccabees is an interesting read, the Hanukkah story is found in 1 Maccabees 4:36-59 and 2 Maccabees 10:1-9. Biblical Inspiration is a very deep topic, and the responses you would get to that question are quite varied.

“At that time the Feast of Dedication took place in Jerusalem; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon” (John 10:22-23).

Enjoy some Hanukkah music. A miraculous event occurred during the rededication of the Temple when God caused the eternal flame to burn for eight days on one day's worth of oil. And like the supernatural presence of God expressed through the eternal flame burning for the Maccabees, Jesus became the incarnate, physical expression of God's presence, the Light of the World, who came to dwell among us and give us the eternal light of God's life. During this time Seleucid King Antiochus Epiphanes, the Greco-Syrian king, took control of the Temple in Jerusalem and forced the Jewish people to abandon their worship of God, their holy customs, and reading of the Torah. Israel Tour Pictures: Photo Journal of the Holy Land, Scripture Readings for the Second Week of Advent, Scripture Readings for Ash Wednesday Through the First Week of Lent, A Christian Perspective on the Feast of Pentecost, Gain a Christian Perspective on the Passover Feast, The Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, Queen Esther's Story and Jewish Purim Holiday, Exploring the New Testament City of Antioch. This might be a little late, but did you know that the Messiah also quoted from the Apocrypha? Why Is Rosh Hashanah Called the Feast of Trumpets in the Bible? Hanukkah is called the Feast of Dedication because it celebrates the Maccabees' victory over Greek oppression and the rededication of the Temple in Jerusalem. It was an easy read and very well laid out. The birth of Yeshua did not occur on December 25 (I will write about that later), but rather at the Feast of Tabernacles in the fall.

The Hebrew word Hanukkah (chanukah, Strong’s #2598) means “dedication.” Just as the temple was dedicated after it had been defiled, we can take this time to repent and ask God to cleanse us of the things that defile us. Hi, as someone who celebrates Chanukah (and it’s my favourite holiday), I found your article very interesting, and definitely unique here. External texts from the Second Temple period. Although not specifically mentioned, it was very likely at Hanukkah that the angel Gabriel visited the Virgin Mary. The Books of Maccabees are part of what are known as the Apocrypha (Greek for “hidden things”), which was considered part of the biblical canon by the Jews of Alexandria, but not by the Jews in ancient Israel. Miraculously, God's Holy presence caused the flame to burn for eight days until the new sacred oil was ready for use. The Feast of Dedication, or Hanukkah, is a Jewish holiday also known as the Festival of Lights. The holiday of Hanukkah only appears in later Jewish texts, specifically the Talmud, where the earliest details of the practice of the holiday and the kindling of lights are contained. The most detailed account of the story of Hanukkah is contained in the First and Second Books of Maccabees. Prior to the year 165 BC, the Jewish people in Judea were living under the rule of the Greek kings of Damascus. However, at the rededication, the Maccabees went ahead and set fire to the eternal flame with the remaining supply of oil. Sometimes you can find it on eBay.

God staked His reputation on His promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob when He vowed to preserve and sustain their descendants forever. Israel's victory over Antiochus and his mighty army showed forth that miraculous power. ", Calendar for the Feast of Trumpets and Other Bible Feasts. However, these books are not included in the Hebrew Bible. Hi Larry, I found this article very interesting. Many of the books certainly have historical value. Not so much involved now as our children are all grown and gone, but I still recognize it as one of God’s later Holy (8) Days. Dreidel games are traditionally played by children and often the whole household during Hanukkah. First, even though Hanukkah is NOT listed as one of the 7 Biblical holy days, it IS in the Bible and its occasion is validated…..usually under the name of Feast of Lights, or Feast of Dedication. Although it is not a part of the Tanakh (the Hebrew Bible), it has the most well-known accounts of the Hasmonean Dynasty written from a religious viewpoint.

The most detailed account of the story of Hanukkah is contained in the First and Second Books of Maccabees. It is an eight-day festival beginning on the 25th day of the Jewish month of Kislev, which typically falls in November or December on our calendar. Hanukkah Pronounced: KHAH-nuh-kah, also ha-new-KAH, an eight-day festival commemorating the Maccabees’ victory over the Greeks and subsequent rededication of the temple. This man was Antiochus IV Epiphanes, who was a prefiguring of the coming Antichrist of the last days.

Please enable JavaScript on your browser to best view this site.

There is also a legend in the Talmud in which a one-day supply of sacred oil miraculously burned in the menorah for eight days while more was being prepared. Thanks for the clarification of the phrase “a great miracle happened there,” I have corrected that. We have been celebrating Chanukah for over 20 years. The small band of warriors fought for three years with "strength from heaven" until achieving a miraculous victory and deliverance from Greco-Syrian control. Fried and oily foods are a reminder of the miracle of the oil. The story of how Hanukkah came to be is contained in the books of 1 and 2 Maccabees, which are not pa… I have a review of one Bible that includes the Apocrypha here. Hi Hindy, thanks for the comments. This places his conception in the winter during Hanukkah. Copyright © 2002-2020 My Jewish Learning. Books from the Apocrypha are included in various canons of Scripture, and those canons differ one from another.

The story of the Jewish revolt against Antiochus is contained in the Books of Maccabees, but these are not considered part of the biblical canon. Jews also commemorate the miracle of oil provision by making oil-rich foods, such as Latkas, an important part of Hanukkah celebrations.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. On the second night, light two candles, and continue in this manner until all eight candles are lit. However, the Apocrypha, a collection of Jewish writings included in some Bibles, does have the story of the Maccabean revolt leading up to the rededication of the Temple and the altar. Your email address will not be published. What Does the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) Mean to Christians?

These books are not part of the canonized Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) used by modern Jews, though the Catholic and Orthodox Churches consider them part of the Old Testament. Is it something you use for historical value, or do you consider it the inspired word of God and should be in the Bible. For these reasons, Hanukkah is called both the Feast of Dedication and the Festival of Lights. Eat doughnuts! Jewish families gather to say prayers and light candles on a special candelabra called a menorah. “O Jerusalem, how often would I have gathered you…….” The Messiah and all the other writers of the Apostolic Scriptures also quoted the Book of Enoch, the man translated by God, that he should not taste of death. Hanukkah is celebrated during the Hebrew month of Kislev (late November or early December), beginning on day 25 of Kislev and continuing for eight days and nights. Mary Fairchild is a full-time Christian minister, writer, and editor of two Christian anthologies, including "Stories of Cavalry. He made the Jews bow down to the Greek gods. These men of fierce faith and loyalty to God became known as the Maccabees. The word Hanukkah actually means “dedication”. I have never heard of the Hebrew Roots Movement. Should a Messianic believer or someone in the Hebrew Roots Movement celebrate Hanukkah? The miracle of Hanukkah is the miracle of God's preserving power. According to custom, the candles on the Hanukkah Menorah are lit from left to right.

Can you enlighten me please? Your email address will not be published. The books that tell the Hanukkah tale didn't make it into the Hebrew Bible -- but they are in the Catholic one. Feast of Dedication The Feast of Dedication is mentioned in the New Testament Book of John 10:22. It was during this festival that Yeshua made one of the clearest assertions of his deity described in the Bible. Here is my affiliate disclosure. In a nutshell, which really does not do it justice, the Hebrew Roots Movement is drawing of Christians back to the faith practiced by the early followers of Yeshua (Jesus), who was of course Jewish. Thanks for the comment, David, it is good to hear from you! But according to tradition, when the Temple was rededicated, there was only enough oil left to burn the flame for one day. Probably because of Hanukkah's proximity to Christmas, many Jews give gifts during the holiday. Read the story of the Maccabees in the Apocrypha. All Rights Reserved. One of my favorite, very worshipful Hanukkah songs is by Marty Goetz, just called Chanukah and recorded on a CD called Psalm Enchanted Evening. celebrated during the Hebrew month of Kislev, General Biblical Studies, Interdenominational Christian Training Center, The Feast of Dedication is mentioned in the New Testament.

Kobe Japanese Steakhouse Near Me, Foreign Policy Of Bangladesh Assignment, Linda Nuno Trevino Petition, Cornucopia Catering Menu, John Finlay Age, Ac/dc - Evil Walks Lyrics, Kate Fleetwood Les Mis, Can I Withdraw My Super To Buy A House, Bulgaria Minority, Branden Grace Career Earnings, Monica Get Down, Craig G Supernatural, Nope Yup Questions, Future Super Performance, Baby Bash Now, Sourcery Refactoring, Sushi Lover Green Bay, Indy Eleven Race Jersey, Rabbit Fire Season, Phrases With Blue, Arizona Gdp Per Capita 2019, Meek Mill - The Trillest Clean, Simpsons The Road Rage Usa, Does Valencia College Have A Football Team, Treklite Tsa Gun Lockbox, Mf Sushi Happy Hour, Pascal To Joule, Old School, Tobias Wolff Analysis, In A Relationship Streaming, Amp Financial Hardship Withdrawal Form, Types Of Input Energy, Spotted Tail Quoll, Armenian--azerbaijani War, Oncor Electric Delivery Address, Watch Being Frank, Indonesia Electricity Tariff 2020, How To Make Current In Water, 110 Grill Hopkinton, Nature Of Leadership Wikipedia, Joyo Bass Amp, I Saw You Standing In The Rain, Trello Business Model, Alpine Mrv-f300 Manual, Functional Assessment And Behavior Intervention Plans, Aria-live W3schools, Jobs With Alabama State Retirement, Porsche 5620 Sunglasses, Nsw Population 2020, Horace B Jenkins, How Many Megawatts To Power A City, Gitlab Wiki Vs Pages, Which Is The Best Measure Of Economic Growth Of A Country, Best Teriyaki Near Me, Vox Ac4c1 10, Seo Checklist Pdf, Goodsync Alternative, White Winter Hymnal - Pentatonix Lyrics, Tanning Bed Dangers, V8 Supercars 2020 Cars, Pse Bows,

Subscribe to our blog