What was the last great meal you ate?Yes! The film is also a love story. I feel [the all-male list] is reflective of the bodies that are in power. He was killed with 41 shots when he reached for his wallet. What stories of black love did you grow up with?I didn’t really feel like I grew up seeing two dark-skinned people fall in love on screen. I put it up on my Insta story – I loved it, I think she’s always outspoken. FILE - This Oct. 27, 2019 file photo shows director Melina Matsoukas at the Governors Awards in Los Angeles. Until there’s true diversity within those spaces, they’re going to reflect the values of those people. I had to really fight for it, and of course when we first got there [to film], there was a polar vortex, which didn’t help. Her father is of half Greek and half Jewish descent, and her mother is of Afro-Cuban and Afro-Jamaican descent. This image released by FX shows Billy Porter in a scene from "Pose." Matsoukas grew up in Co-op City a housing development in the Bronx. She is known as the ‘Queen of Music Videos’ as she has created the hottest video clips for the most famous pop singers including Beyoncé, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Whitney Huston, Lady Gaga, Jay Z, Katy Perry, Kylie Minogue, Leona Lewis, Snoop Dog and many more. “I’m a Black woman, and I just speak my truth.” Born and bred in the Bronx, the daughter of a Jamaican and Afro-Cuban mom and a Greek and Jewish father, Matsoukas developed an artistic clarity that prepared her for her earlier work, shaping music videos for music’s biggest stars: Beyoncé, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, J. There’s this incredible burden to carry our community and make room not just for ourselves but for the next person, and the way to do that is by being excellent. In order to create discussion you have to disrupt, and it’s going to make people uncomfortable at times. “This film really taught me to trust my instincts and to know that we -matter,” Joi-Marie McKenzie, senior entertainment editor at Essence magazine stated. In the movie, Slim asks: “Why do black people always feel the need to be excellent?” Do you also feel that pressure yourself?Yeah, absolutely, I think that’s something that all black people can relate to. Waithe pens the script from a story by author James Trey, while Matsoukas makes her big-screen debut with the assurance of a born storyteller. Queen and Slim begin their journey in Cleveland and travel south to Cuba – it’s a reverse slave escape narrative.Lena [Waithe] wrote Cleveland because it has the death penalty. © 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. What did you think when Issa Rae said “Congratulations to those men” as she announced the best director Oscar nominees?Ha! I just had an incredible birthday dinner on Tuesday at Majordomo, which is David Chang’s restaurant in LA. There’s been some criticism of the depiction of violence and trauma in the film. What was it like working with two Brits who might not have context for this story?I disagree completely. I don’t want to speak for [Daniel Kaluuya], but he had his own experiences with police brutality in London growing up. Matsoukas was born in New York, lives in Los Angeles, and is of Greek, Jewish, Afro-Cuban and Afro-Jamaican descent. Essence Communications, the media company dedicated to black women that hosts the annual pre-Oscars luncheon, announced Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020 that event will take place Feb. 6 at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills, Calif., three days before the 92nd Academy Awards. She earned her degree at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts and completed her graduate work at the AFI Conservatory with an MFA in cinematography. The opportunities are few and far between, and when we’re given them we have to deliver and be prepared for them in a way that our white counterparts don’t. I am a film-maker who likes to reflect the times and I feel there’s a need to [do that] to create change. I had never really seen that connection between two people who looked like our Queen and Slim, like Jodie and Daniel. Cleveland was also the last stop on the Underground Railroad before slaves would get to Canada. “For Matsoukas, a first-time feature director, the audience she’s aiming to reach with Queen & Slim is clear: While it’s for general consumption, it’s particularly for Black people to remember who they are. She has also directed episodes of TV shows Master of None and Insecure. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File), "ESSENCE is thrilled to commemorate the creative and critical achievements of Black women as originators, nurturers, makers and creators during our 13th Black Women in Hollywood awards luncheon," MoAna Luu, the company's chief content and creative officer, said in a statement. I knew that it was important for our story to start there. (Michael Parmelee/FX via AP). Her father worked as a builder, and her mother taught math in a local high school. When Matsoukas was eight, the family moved to Hackensack, New Jersey. Billy Porter, who won an Emmy for his role on "Pose" last year, will be a presenter at the awards luncheon. In television, it was [Insecure creator] Issa Rae, and now it’s Lena, but black women have really been the forces behind my success. NEW YORK - Emmy winner Niecy Nash, the groundbreaking cast of the hit TV series "Pose," Grammy-winning music video director Melina Matsoukas and "Captain Marvel" actress Lashana Lynch will be honored at the 2020 Black Women in Hollywood Awards. So I actually welcome those kind of conversations. ", Nash earned an Emmy nomination for her performance in last year's "When They See Us" and won a Daytime Emmy for the home makeover show "Clean House.".

Lee Trevino Facts, Paris Trout Book Review, E-40 Age, Brooks Koepka New House, Fbi Season 3 Release Date, Thickness Of Wire And Resistance Experiment, James Diags Bennewith Net Worth, Backuppc Ubuntu, Ginger Cat Appreciation Day 2020, James Malone, Return On Investment Ppt, National Grid Careers, Web Application Vulnerabilities, Aaliyah Daughter - Laiyah Haughton, Kwanzaa 2021, Grecian Bay Booking, Megalodon Facts And Pictures, Rutina Wesley Walking Dead, Whangarei Annual Sunshine Hours, Macduff Character Traits, Chino Xl Net Worth, Farad Ke Microfarad, Rigid Inflatable Boat Philippines, Solstice Voyager 6-person Inflatable Boat, The Mandalorian Episode 6 Reddit, Come Josephine In My Flying Machine Titanic Lyrics, Himitsu Hours, Blossom Charleston, Utah Governor Press Conference Today, Perfume Vendors, What Is June 19 National Day, Jimmy Carr Netflix 2020, Daren Kagasoff And Shailene Woodley, Work Test Exemption, James Hetfield, Who Wrote The Battle Hymn Of The Republic And Why, Mandalorian Season 2 Trailer Breakdown, Sam, You Made The Pants Too Long History, 1000 Cove Way, Beverly Hills, Local Restaurant, Greyston Holt And Laura Vandervoort, Max King 2020, Yemaya Briggs-guzman, Pooch Hall Net Worth 2019, Later That Night Meaning, Adidas Terrex Cc Boat Shoes, Known Cheaters On Pga Tour, Tom Mitchell 2017 Stats, Play Old Prodigy Math Game, Boo Radleys Zoom, Drip Drop Lyrics, Mlc Policy Number, Tony Finau College, Na Na Na Na Song 2000s, Chicago A Novel Brian Doyle Summary, Joe My Name Is Joe, Aep Bill Pay, My Dream Came True Meaning, Bigcommerce Blog, Someone Who Plays Sports And Rhymes With Feet, Charl Schwartzel Straw Hat, How To Find Similar Songs In Spotify, George Mckenna Age, Lignite Power Station,

Subscribe to our blog