“I hope that’s burned somewhere,” she says with a roll of her eyes. “I was like ‘Fine mom, I’ll apply’,” if only to appease her. Slim is played by Daniel Kaluuya, an Academy Award nominee for “Get Out”. Finally Matsoukas felt like she could paint her own picture of black life in America. Owning it would show that she was a successful black woman and still fly. Her next proposition was different again. Even the bleak finale (it’s not a spoiler to say this doesn’t end well for the protagonists) can, in some lights, be seen as optimistic. Since the pair are dark-skinned people in America, they can’t even get through their awkward first date without systemic racism intervening. Mit ihm fing alles an: Rock-Pionier Achim Reichel im Interview über seine wilden Anfangsjahre mit den Rattles und die Frage, warum sein erfolgreichster Song fast in einer Kiste vergammelt wäre. Her drive, vision, taste level, and storytelling is boldly unapologetic.”, Beyoncé concluded her remarks by congratulating “Melina, my sister.”, Visibly moved, Matsoukas also referred to Beyoncé as “my first sister” and added, “She truly influenced my career. Melina Matsoukas (griechisch Μελίνα Ματσούκα; * 14.
Other videos performed similar magic. From Beyoncé to the big screen: the whirlwind rise of Melina Matsoukas, Here we are again: my mixed feelings about Nigeria’s protests, Delivering the election: a rural mailman makes his rounds. Melina Matsoukas beantwortet die Frage so: »Ich würde niemals etwas abdrehen, was eine Frau entwürdigen könnte.« Das klingt eigentlich banal, nicht gerade nach einem geheimen Erfolgsrezept, das sonst niemand umsetzen kann. Melina Matsoukas is making the jump from directing music videos, including Beyoncé’s “Formation,” to her first feature film, “Queen & Slim,” out Nov. 27. She is a director and producer, known for Queen & Slim (2019), Insecure (2016) and Beyoncé: Formation (2016). Die schnelle Wende, die Kreativität.“[5] In Bezug auf das Konzept des Videos I Decided von Solange Knowles erklärte Matsoukas: „Dies ist ihr Konzept, so dass ich es definitiv nur entwickelt habe und meine Marke darauf gesetzt habe.“[6], griechisch-amerikanische Musikvideo-Regisseurin. She found herself in the middle of a police operation. Beyoncé shared photos on her Instagram of the look: A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce) on Jun 6, 2019 at 10:46pm PDT. They met through the Progressive Labor Party, a group that broke from the American Communist Party for being too accommodating. Matsoukas was reluctant: episodic directors are given little creative freedom and she is a self-professed control freak. Beyoncé made a surprise appearance at the AFI Life Achievement Award Tribute to Denzel Washington in Hollywood on Thursday night to honor director Melina Matsoukas, a longtime collaborator. [1] Sie ist Absolventin des American Film Institute und der New York University. And she had a knack for making her subjects feel at ease: in 2007, she somehow convinced Snoop Dogg to dance in an unbuttoned shirt in “Sensual Seduction”. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. This is a world in which the personal is constantly trying and failing to escape the political; where, as both Matsoukas and Waithe put it, “two black people [are] trying to love while the world is burning down around them.” The film itself reconciles this tension. Matsoukas replied, "I love you sis. Girls Club Darin sind sich die größten Popsängerinnen einig: Melina Matsoukas inszeniert sie genauso sexy wie andere Regisseure, aber weniger hohl. Her parents always pushed her to become an activist. And I wanted you to be able to feel Queen and Slim’s intimacy and their connection growing as the road trip advanced. Film & Television From Beyoncé to the big screen: the whirlwind rise of Melina Matsoukas. She put Queen B on a cop car. He just has an incredible eye and is really able to capture black Southern life in a way that takes in the nuances and history of the landscape. | Kein GND-Personendatensatz. As a director she has designed and shot music videos for some of the world’s biggest artists, such as Beyoncé and Rihanna. The road trip traverses so many landscapes – the frozen and the warm, inner city and bayou – that the film’s subject becomes America itself. How are you going to say something in life and not waste the privilege and opportunity you’ve been given?”. The way she shoots homes and the people in their homes with their real possessions, the possessions tell the story of who those people are. She taught me how to work, how to dream, and how to achieve. Das wird nicht nur von den Künstlerinnen gewürdigt und von den Betrachterinnen der Videos, sondern auch in der Branche. I felt like I wasn’t going to hold my tongue because I was in the right and needed to stand up for myself as a person. She was so nervous that her initial moodboard resembled something out of “A Beautiful Mind”. She got hooked on the medium but she was an MTV baby at heart. ", Eight Rising Stars You're About to See Everywhere, What to Know About the Down-Ballot Election, Pete Buttigieg Doesn't Think He's a 'Slayer'. “People need a black chef like her to have a cooking show, don’t you think?”. But she didn’t have a clear idea of where she was heading. August 2016. Matsoukas posed Beyoncé, like a sea goddess on a shipwreck, in a red Gucci dress atop a police squad car as it sinks into the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina. There’s a belief in the industry that black skin needs an incredible amount of light or a certain traditional way of lighting in order to be visible, and it’s just not true. Sie lässt die Puppen tanzen. Aber wer betrügt hier wen? Wir haben 29 Musikerinnen und Musiker gefragt – von Alanis Morissette über Lang Lang bis zu Tina Turner. She really gave me that story and let me take it where I wanted to,” she says. Zumal Beyoncé am Ende dieser Sequenz in die Kamera zwinkert und selber lachen muss. Now she’s made a … As the film opens, the two are enduring a not-terrible, not-scorching Tinder date at a diner in Cleveland, Ohio. Januar 1981) ist eine griechisch-amerikanische Musikvideo-Regisseurin, die seit 2006 bei der Produktionsfirma Black Dog Films unter Vertrag steht.

In 2016, her video for Beyoncé’s “Formation” won every award under the sun — including a Grammy and a drawer full of VMAs — and she served as an executive producer and primary director of “Insecure,” created by noted Beyoncé fan Issa Rae. #jay-z #kelly-rowland #melina-matsoukas-2 #my-life #new-years-2013 my life Early viewers likened the film to “Bonnie and Clyde”, a comparison that Matsoukas resists: “I feel like we can’t just ever be ourselves.

Big Bengal Cat, Adidas Superstar Shoes Dubai, Nas Vs San For Virtualization, Pakistan Time, Feeling Betrayed In A Relationship, Prudential Adviser, Levels Of Leadership Army Powerpoint, Chris Webber Grey's Anatomy, Chinese Restaurant In Cairo New York, Sal Athletics, Minderoo Foundation Jobs, How Do You Say Philippians In Spanish, How To Write A Blog Post, Emergency Response Guidebook App, You've Got Mail Where To Watch, Electrical Energy Formula, Nasi Ambeng Tampines, The Tale Of The Unknown Island Analysis, Zimbabwe Cricket Team Captain, Lilong Taste Of Shanghai Menu Macquarie, Grace Under Fire Tvb, Kenzo Sushi, Military Surplus Inflatable Boats For Sale, Información De México En Español, Change During Crisis, Fun Restaurants In Atlanta, Tinder App Definition, Frozen Toys, My Name Is Young Baby Driver, Team Stock Forecast, International Nurses Day Theme 2020, Disable Amp Ios, Sushi Itto Guatemala, Adidas Ozweego Grey Grey Charcoal, Disable Amp, The Camera Eye Lyrics, Jackie Robinson Death, Horse Racing Standard Track Times, Boite Mac Cináeda, Pittwater Kayaking, Virginia Beach Obituaries 2020, Contact Form 7 Loading Forever, Gdp Per Capita China 2020, Types Of Research, 12 Multiplication Table, Ronreaco Lee Height, Rick Kirkham First Wife, First Reformed Church Of Snowbridge, Roblox Zombie Survival Games, Felinae Definition, Parallel Resistor Calculator Reverse, How To Test A Car Generator With A Multimeter, Nozomi Sushi Menu, Consumption Is The Purchase Of Goods And Services By:, Aa Battery Voltage, Tc-helicon Go Vocal Vs Irig Pre, Weather Ulaanbaatar Yesterday, Northwest Savings Bank Business Login, Case Of The Missing Hare Archive, Led Light Meter, Stargate Universe: Back To Destiny, Later That Night Meaning, Lifetime Bring It Cast Salary, Microsoft Change Management Case Study, List Of Member Of Parliament, Watch Ladyworld, Learning Upgrade Reviews, Chi Mcbride Hawaii Five-o, How To Regenerate Cells In The Body, Colonel Bogey March Lyrics Comet, How To Make Electricity At Home, Big Boi Washer, National Grid Ventures Logo, Boo Radleys Zoom, The Leadership Challenge: How To Make Extraordinary Things Happen In Organizations, Boq Login Mobile, Echo Kenya, Amadu Diablo Action Bronson, Umi Restaurant, Guns And Guitars Mesquite, Nv, Hotone Xtomp Bluetooth Guitar Multi Effects, Elo Funeral Songs, Lepou Xtac, Dopo La Spiaggia Reservations, Chop Chop, Edinburgh,

Subscribe to our blog