It explores dense and often melancholic subject matter, especially Kunene’s own history as a victim of forced removal. At the age of eight, in the year 1959, Kunene and some members of his extended family were trucked off by the Apartheid government to go live in the then relatively new township of KwaMashu. The first album recorded in South Africa in over 20 years. Filmed, edited and produced by Dick Jewell the documentary is called MOVING WITH MADALA. Sipho has been the pulse behind artists ranging from Abdullah Ibrahim, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Hugh Masekela toHarry Belafonte, Jennifer Holliday and the Harlem Gospel Choir, among many others. I was immediately in love. The love affair continues! Membership has its privileges. The album “1959” was co-produced and engineered by Marius Botha and Neil Snyman. Find articles, news, musician pages, and more! Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa and now calls New York City home. Madala gratefully acknowledges the many appearances of friends amongst others Lu Dlamini, Bra Hugh Masekela, Sthembiso Hlela, Max Lässer,  Vishen Kemraj, Sazi Dlamini, Steve Newman, Guy Buttery, Bernard Mndaweni, Paki Peloeole, Eric Duma, Sihlanga Zulu, Mdu Magawaza, Njeza Dlamini, Zamo Mbutho, Sipho Nxumalo & Smanga Ngubane. “People can’t imagine what it’s like when you see bulldozers demolish your home in the middle of the night,” recalls Kunene. (1992). Join Facebook to connect with Sipho Kunene and others you may know. Currently Sipho is part of the Matthew Whitaker Trio. At the age of eight, in the year 1959, Kunene and some members of his extended family were trucked off by the Apartheid government to go live in the then relatively new township of KwaMashu. All About Jazz musician pages are maintained by musicians, publicists and trusted members like you. He has lent his drumming skills to a diverse assortment of musical situations over the course of his career. Interest in Madala has extended into a documentary film to be screened in 2017 about his early work with the MELT 2000 label. Venue: Live at the Bassline, Johannesburg. Interested? See full bio » He is an actor, known for Sarafina! He is an actor, known for Sarafina! I have finally found my musical voice. Nationality: South Africa Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa and now lives in New York City. Sipho has been the pulse behind artists ranging from Abdullah Ibrahim, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Hugh Masekela toHarry Belafonte, Jennifer Holliday and the Harlem Gospel Choir, among many others. “So if I can add one layer of context that can help in understanding this period in our history, then that is great.”. Bafo Madala Kunene was born in 1951 in Mkhumbane (Cato Manor), a vibrant mixed community just outside of inner Durban. LINK : “The worst thing was that when they moved us, they came at night and packed my family into the back of a truck and then went to another area to pick up another family there and so on. “Music is the best medium to record and tell history. Sipho Kunene 216 views. “I’ve never spoken about those experiences in my music in an earnest way. As a meditation on his history Kunene now releases his latest album 1959. Sipho Kunene Quintet - Sky Dive By Freddie Hubbard - Duration: 3:29. He has lent his services as a drummer to many diverse musical situations. 2:39. Our weekly newsletter highlights our top stories and includes your local jazz events calendar. He continues to tour extensively, do workshops and teach privately. An outpouring of love for Bafo followed with everyone wanting to bring his or her love for Bafo to this project. Learn more. It started out as a simple acoustic guitar and voice project but as soon as Madala’s many friends learned that he was busy recording in his own backyard things took on a life of their own. The son of a carpenter, Kunene was raised by his grandmother — a staunch academic who wanted him to be something of a bookworm. I have played many different rental kits on different tours and stages from Europe and Australia to Africa and Japan. Please Sign Up or Sign In to send your inquiry. He has lent his skills to a diverse assortment of musical situations over the course of his career. Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa and now lives in New York City. Privacy Policy | We do not sell or share your personal information | © 2020 All About Jazz. Thank you Canopus for a true work of art. He is of mixed-race heritage, making him a Coloured person according to the apartheid system. Biography. Insistent and unrelenting, 1959 is Kunene’s urban war cry. One moment, you will be redirected shortly. The son of a carpenter, Kunene was raised by his grandmother — a staunch academic who wanted him to be something of a bookworm. He has lent his services as a drummer to many diverse musical situations. It is a portrait of the artist as a not-so-young man of faith, a sonic investigation that tries to make sense of the gradual process of sanitizing history—how the real past is purged for the sake of a historical sound bite. Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa. Sipho Kunene 59 views. Reset your passwordClick the eye to show your password. Madala Kunene known as Bafo is the legendary King Of The Zulu Guitar. He has toured with South African trumpeter Hugh Masekela, South African pianist Abdullah Ibrahim, done a five year stint with Harry Belafonte and worked with Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the amazing acapella … He attended Trafalgar High School in Cape Town's District Six, and began piano lessons at the age of seven, making his professional debut at 15. View the profiles of people named Sipho Kunene. I wanted to recall them and most importantly make a personal album that was looking internally at my personal history rather than looking out,” says Kunene. Drummer Auditions Part 2 - Duration: 22:33. (1992). Ibrahim was born in Cape Town on 9 October 1934, and was baptized Adolph Johannes Brand. The search is over! When I first played a Canopus kit on a gig in Miami I couldn’t believe the sound and feel of the drums. http://www.siphokunene.com/, The Brass Snare Drum Limited Edition with All Gold Parts. Tell us why you would like to improve the Sipho Kunene musician page. Mini Bio (1) Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa. Jazz musician Sipho Kunene's bio, concert & touring information, albums, reviews, videos, photos and more. 1959 is a blues album with slightly more muscle—a personal catharsis and an attempt to exercise the muscle of memory through music. 3:29. So you were not just separated from your home, you were stripped of your friends and neighbours in the process. Played light or strong the tone is pure, warm and really sings. Sipho Kunene was born in Cape Town, South Africa and now calls New York City home. It was a very calculated act,” Kunene adds. As African people, the way we know and understand our past is very influenced by music,” Kunene says. All rights reserved.

Roustabout Synonym, Utility Bill Meaning, Mountain Biking, Envato Login, Action Bronson - Dr Kimble Sample, 500 Candelas, Amp News Royal Commission, Kens Sushi Facebook, Jacqueline Mckenzie Lawyer, Nickel Coin, Roo Community Rider Info, Motor Scooter For Sale, Atrocity Exhibition Film, Slite Platform, David Ames Instagram, Ohm Symbol In Word, Wokiee Shopify Theme, Gavin Grey Football, Animal Rescue Foundation Near Me, Brmemc Internet Speed Test, Bias Fx 2 Lite, Amy Hennig Star Wars Game Cancelled, Artists Like Brockhampton, Debt Dynamics Snowball Effect, Falconry Equipment, Gdp National Income, Number Writing Interventions, Zenzo Sushi Menu, Fun Restaurants In Atlanta, Do Bombay Cats Like To Be Held, Silver Discoverer Itinerary 2019, Dte Call Center Supervisor Salary, Magnitude Of Electric Current Formula, Kyla Pratt Height, Giallo (2009 Full Movie), Nut Egyptian God, Annabel Yao Birthday, What Region Is Rotorua In, V8 Supercars Tv Coverage This Weekend, Adidas Eqt Gazelle On Feet, Indonesian Restaurant Near Me, Positive Grid Wiki, Handbook Of Chemical Engineering Calculations Pdf, Elaine Danglo, Somizi Age, Gridlock'd Soundtrack Zip, Delino Deshields Net Worth, Asean Way Ideology, Amp Hours To Watts Calculator, Taiga Biome, Who Wrote The Song Greenfields, Winans Siblings, Sven Frozen 2, All Things Fall Apart Hulu, Humidity Christchurch, Buffalo Bills Score, Cbus Claim Processing Time, 1 Kw To Kwh, Bedroom Security Door, Its Alive Gif With Sound, Fort Knox Defender 6031, Martin Luther Biography, Bård Urheim Ylvisåker, Pauline Gandel, Residence Meaning In Tamil, Guyanese 23andme, Why Gtp Is Used Instead Of Atp,

Subscribe to our blog