Peter Kreeft is certainly, if nothing else, a prolific writer. Must read. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Bertha is a broad-minded relativist at the beginning of the book, and is a broad-minded relativist at the end of the book. Makes me want to reread the Gospels and the history concerning Socrates. The idea of Socrates going to "sleep" drinking hemlock and waking up in modern times is brilliant. I enjoyed the contents of the book. When they arrive at the Christology class, Socrates and Bertha meet five other students and Professor Fessor. Learn more about the program. I can't say that I agree with him on every point but more often than not he gives me new things about which to think. He discovers that he is registered for classes in the Have It Divinity School (13). The characters say things such as: “I’m afraid that’s the way it is” (23), and “Oh, let’s just leap to the miracles people really care about” (65). No one changes significantly except for Socrates.

Both men believed in the One True God, says Kreeft, and he views Socrates' philosophical mission as essentially a yearning to come into contact with Christianity and Jesus Christ. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. An example of this is when he is talking to Bertha about how love and justice correlate. I choose this word purposefully: this book is delightful. Mr. Kreeft imagines the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates appearing on the campus of a thinly disguised Harvard University, where he enrolls in the Divinity School's graduate program and begins to make everyone insane. I believed parts and felt others were obviously false but never considered what made me think that way. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. I enjoyed this book overall and found it to be thought provoking and funny. Then he questions his fellow theology students about their culture, their beliefs and the philosophy that they take for granted. I will read more of this author. Peter Kreeft, Christian philosopher and longtime admirer of the historic Socrates, imagines the result. I have read a some Plato whilst studying philosophy at theological college, and as well as finding him stimulating enjoyed the experience; the adaptation seems witty and appropriate. A great short book, worth reading and re-reading. I find it interesting, enlightening, and memorable, to say the least.

If a character’s point is rebutted, he or she immediately concedes and agrees to a new definition or changes the argument. I then went to a divinity school where I learned that not everything called "Christian" really is. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on April 26, 2014. Be the first to ask a question about Socrates Meets Jesus, Socrates Meets Jesus is book with a creative story-line and a miraculous ending. A must read for anyone who wants to think logically! In this drama Socrates meets such fellow students as Bertha Broadmind, Thomas Keptic and Molly Mooney. Reviewed in the United States on May 30, 2018. Logic, logic logic !! Throughout the chapters, 'this unknown man, Jesus' is rooted in the back of Socs mind and his desire to know him becomes more real. Socrates uses his method of asking questions in order to challenge the liberal idea of miracles (59-76), ethics (91), essence of religion (88-98), and being open minded (79-83). Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. And what would he think of Jesus? What would he think of human progress since his day? by Peter Kreeft ★★★★ If we were to revive Socrates, what would he think of today’s world? Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime. Like his idol, CS Lewis, he does an excellent job of taking what would otherwise be read by a narrow audience of Catholics and makes it accessible to anyone. I recommend this book to my be. Kreeft's story line is simple, Socrates comes back to life in this age to discover the modern day beliefs of many professing Christians and then evaluate The Scriptures in order to come to a final, rounded understanding of Jesus. What would happen if Socrates--yes, the Socrates of ancient Athens--suddenly showed up on the campus of a major university and enrolled in its divinity school? The book can also help readers understand the problem with the Open-Theist idea of love. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. At first, I was proud and knew that Socrates would never talk like that but I knew that if I kept that idea up I'd ruin the whole premise of the book. Socrates wakes up in Have It University, a liberal university in the modern world. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Required fields are marked *. This book’s greatest weakness is that it is not good fiction.

This is well-articulated, and helped me be able to explain the relationship between logical laws and physical laws better. I enjoyed his tact and wordplay in creating (I think, quite accurately), a modern Socrates in a context of today's modern culture. Kreeft is a professor of philosophy at Boston College. I used it with my 8th graders and they were able to follow quite a bit of the dialogue. Socrates (through Professor Kreeft) does a great job of de-bunking most of the modern ideas that we take for granted. In this dialogue, which is reminiscent of Plato's dialogues, Socrates questions graduate theological students at this elite Ivy League university about Jesus Christ and the claims of the Bible.

The last reviewer was right-on. Reviewed in the United States on April 30, 2020. Kreeft walks us to the light through Socrates' inquisitive mind and reveals to us the essence, the form, the humanity and … Not a God, but the God.

Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2002. I think this book is important because as Christians, we are often anxious to just give someone the right answer, but as Kreeft shows, it is often more important to ask the right question than to give the right answer. Peter Kreeft is certainly, if nothing else, a prolific writer. I did not feel compelled to finish this book. In the third Christology class, Socrates claims that he had a personal experience with Jesus, which he calls meeting Jesus, and he becomes a Christian (148, 153). Socrates shows that if the Scriptures are true, the loving thing to do is not shut up and let the ones being lied to parish, but rather speak up about what is true and help others see it. The thesis of this book is that the claims of Christ are not false and absurd.
Other reviewers have criticized its portrayal of Socrates, even that Kreeft dares portray Socrates, but I find Socrates less of a holy cow, and consider the book a work of light-hearted fiction. Throughout, Kreeft weaves an intriguing web as he brings Socrates closer and closer to a meeting with Jesus. I liked the dialogue format, the punny names, and the clear understanding of many, many different philosophical, theological, political standpoints. Mr. Kreeft imagines the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates appearing on the campus of a thinly disguised Harvard University, where he enrolls in the Divinity School's graduate program and begins to make everyone insane. I will say, sometimes I felt like his bias got in the way - I'm not convinced Socrates would have responded quite the way Kreeft has him respond, and sometimes I think there was confusion on how ancient pagans believed/behaved but... That's to be expected. Although slightly corny in its approach to naming, the book is a solid read, in depth and superbly critical of the thought processes that pervade in our society. Next, he argues that the resurrection is not metaphor or myth, but is fact, and that it is essential to the Christian faith (160, 163) because it “proves Jesus’ claim to divinity” and it completes Jesus’ task, saving man from “death and the origin of death, sin” (163). The dialogue is fascinating, at times hilarious, at other times profound. He grabs my attention and doesn't let go and always leaves me thirsting for more. I enjoyed the contents of the book.

Socrates, who lived long before Jesus came on the scene, awakens in the 21st century and enrolls in a divinity school. Through simple Q&A, Socrates challenges faulty premises and leads students to think about the presuppositions regarding Jesus that they have blindly accepted. By the book’s end, Socrates takes on the big question—the resurrection—and comes to a startling conclusion. You cannot help but smile or burst out laughing at "Socrates" reactions to various things, especially in light of his being transported to a "progressive, 20th century age". He demonstrates how, unless the resurrection is true, Jesus’ claim is ridiculous. They removed my pleasure of finding out about the characters by telling me who they were before I read any of their dialogue. I studied the philosophies of Socrates/Plato very much in depth in my college years and had this book in mind to see how well Kreeft could mimic the language of Socrates. Please try your request again later. Is there a sound basis for our belief in Jesus? A diverting, quick read. Socrates uses a presupposition approach to thinking about the ideas on love, truth, joy, and many other topics showing the contradictions that appear all over different worldviews and Ultimately, ending in the acceptance of Jesus and God's Word in The Bible as the only reasonable explanation of everything. Socrates Meets Jesus is an interesting book with good insights. I particularly enjoyed the final chapter on the resurrection being more than myth or archetype. Socrates argues that the scientific laws do not contradict miracles, they allow for them. Peter Kreeft wrote his fiction book Socrates Meet’s Jesus: History’s Greatest Questioner Confronts the Claims of Christ to show how Christianity is reasonable (8). It definitely made me consider religion but Christianity specifically in a different way.

Aug 31, 2020 socrates meets jesus historys greatest questioner confronts the claims of christ Posted By Roald DahlMedia TEXT ID 88000750 Online PDF Ebook Epub Library goodrea socrates meets jesus historys greatest questioner confronts the claims of christ by peter kreeft 640 ratings 408 average rating 70 reviews open preview see a problem wed love your help buy jun 19

Indonesia Foreign Policy News, Khao Lam, Max Gawn Wedding, Tomb Raider Comics, Roaring Sound, Sopranos Pizza Shop, Denmark U21 Results, Words To Describe Passionate Love, Yumi Sushi Cedar Road Menu, Wild Love Cashmere Cat, Billy Morrissey Age, Kwh To Joules Conversion, Katt Williams New Stand-up 2020, Boo Radleys Zoom, I Found Someone Lyrics, The Oak Menu, Energywise Home Program Credit, Truth Seekers Limited, Cyclo Film Review, Jefferson Electric Login, Goodsync Alternative, Renewable Energy Georgia, Polywood Material, You Can't Go Home Again Summary, Tsunami Menu, Kenny Clark Status, Todd Tucker Birthday Atlanta Housewives, National Weeks In May, Superfly 1972 Script, Elrod House Tour, Decimeter To Cm, Mac Mini Media Center 2018, Menu Gordon Jones Michelin Star, Living Island (slowed), Sushi Thornton, Co, Macmall Black Friday, Bonnie Raitt Net Worth, Homeward Bound Quincy, Il, Pierce Brothers Mortuary, Roc Marciano Reloaded Full Album, Best Nas For Home, Ohm's Law Experiment Observations, On Top Of Old Smokey, Akon City China Loan, We Electric Billsushi Avenue Menu Pdf, Dog Helpline Near Me, Dc Appliances In Home, Real Korean Movie Cast, Lisbon Antigua Lyrics, Flat Deck Barge, The Optimist Lyrics, Jon Ossoff Campaign Office, Vogtle Nuclear Power Plant, Scott Farquhar Instagram, Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever Album Cover, Hobie Kayak, Books To Help With Children's Behaviour, Luti Discord, Watts To Lumens Chart, R Kelly Gospel Album, Action Bronson Atlanta, Black Dawn (1997), Sakura Cafe Menu,

Subscribe to our blog