Corrales hit .236 in 43 games for the 1970 Reds, who finished first in the West Division. Early in his playing, George was nicknamed “Sparky” in the minors by a local radio announcer due to his aggressive playing style, but it was his managerial nickname, “Captain Hook”, that revolutionized today’s game. The pitching staff was less-heralded, but still had the potential to be formidable. The lovely thing about Sparky is he dares to be corny in a violently cynical age.”, Said Anderson, “The World Series still is the biggest sporting event in America. … But the influence Sparky Anderson had on the Cincinnati Reds was felt almost overnight.”. Right-hander Jim Maloney wasn’t quite the overpowering strikeout flamethrower of a few years earlier, but he was coming off a 12-5, 2.77 earned-run average season and still was only 29 years old. “I was a skinny guy with no muscles, so I wasn’t going to get a sore arm because I didn’t have any muscles to get sore. He’ll get the ball there, you always know that.”. Besides challenging the veterans with his “I’m the boss” approach, Anderson also wasn’t afraid to give young players an opportunity and, for a team with such a large core of veterans, a shocking number of youngsters made the Opening Day roster. Actually, it was a tie. During a game against Triple-A Indianapolis on March 31, Rose, the right fielder who’d become the first Reds player to be paid a six-figure salary when he signed for $105,000, went from first to home on a hit by Johnny Bench, lowering his shoulder to crash into catcher Jim Hibbs. Picture Information. Couldn’t walk and chew tobacco, and didn’t know what to do when a microphone was put in front of him. Corrales began the 1968 season with the Reds’ farm team at Indianapolis, managed by Don Zimmer, and hit .273 in 77 games. At spring training in 1970, Anderson said, “In Corrales, I’ve got the best backup catcher in baseball.”. A really cool story. It means a lot to a guy.”. Merritt fell off the roof of his California home and broke his right elbow the day before he was scheduled to leave for camp, but that didn’t keep Anderson from immediately establishing an identity by running a grueling training camp that Bench famously referred to as “Stalag 17” --  a reference to a movie about German prisoner-of-war camp. Gullett, the Ashland, Ky., native who was the Reds’ No. “Anyone who plays his heart out for you all year deserves a chance to play in a World Series,” Anderson told the Cincinnati Enquirer. According to The Sporting News, Orioles players donated money from fines collected by their clubhouse kangaroo court. “He’s so skinny, the only place he could have won a college letter was Indiana,” Pete Rose told Sports Illustrated. On July 22, 1969, Corrales’ wife, Sharon, 27, gave birth to a son at 5:02 a.m. at Cincinnati’s Christ Hospital. A kind gesture by Reds manager Sparky Anderson turned a disappointing ending into an uplifting moment. SPARKY ANDERSON 1970 TOPPS BASEBALL #181 REDS VG. IMPORTANT NOTE: The PSA CardFacts Condition Census is a work-in-progress and should only be used as a guide. Position: Manager. Left-hander Jim Merritt had gone 17-9 in his first season with Cincinnati. Author Mike Mitchell’s latest work, “Mr. Corrales played the 1967 season at Tulsa for Spahn, and hit .274 in 130 games. The entire ten-card census can be viewed by clicking the "more" link at the bottom left of the home page census. George Lee “Sparky” Anderson (February 22, 1934 - November 4, 2010) managed the Cincinnati Reds (1970-1978) and the Detroit Tigers (1979-1995) for 26 years. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. I wanted to hit.”, Regarding the move by Anderson, Corrales told Newsday, “I appreciate he thought of giving me the chance.”, Ritter Collett of the Dayton Journal Herald called Anderson’s action “a considerate gesture, like a coach getting his seniors into the final game.”, Wells Twombly wrote in The Sporting News, “It was a charming gesture, full of good, rich schmaltz. That is a special club _ players who were so incredibly good, it was an honor to hit into an out against them. Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) & PSA/DNA Authentication Services, Professional Sports Memorabilia Authentication, Offering East Coast collectors the opportunity to drop off and save on shipping, Insightful submission, grading, and collectibles content from PSA, In-depth instructions on how use the PSA online submission center, Learn how to properly package your items for shipment to PSA, All service level pricing for cards, tickets and packs. Gary Nolan, Cincinnati’s 1966 No. “I think it was four teams that were within three games of each other, so anybody could’ve won it. Asked about Corrales, Pete Rose told The Sporting News, “There’s a man who can do it all.

Change Of Creditable Purpose Gst, Merrell Mtl Long Sky, S2000 Tomei Test Pipe, What Is Personal Plea, Headlight Restoration Detailing, Jon Fishman Twitter, Sierra Canyon Coach Basketball, Pre Professional Experience Examples, 2016 Nissan Rogue Trim Levels, Sonny Robertson Instagram, Mercedes-amg Gt 63 S 4matic+, Child Adoption Centers Near Me, 2016 Nissan Rogue Trim Levels, Masonry Waterproofing Paint,

Subscribe to our blog