To speed up this process, finishers tend to rub a few coats of thin oil, such as Walnut into the wood then because of time and cost restraints, finish with a few coats of. It’s simple to apply, and you should do it in a well ventilated area. I live in a warm climate so my wait time is short. The best part is you really don’t have to be a gunsmith to apply it. First thing you a are going to need to do is take the gun apart and degrease the stock. If you are thinking about refinishing an antique or old collectible, go to a reputable gunsmith or dealer and talk to them first. The best option and one that I use a lot is a sealant for the wood, which is much harder than French polish or oil with hardener, but looks like an oil finish and will develop a higher shine when it is rubbed with Boiled Linseed oil. First things first: STOP. This finish gives walnut a dark yet warm color, and if you choose to apply it by wet-sanding, this too can fill the grain as above. Nothing destroys a vintage … The gun has no flat surfaces so I only used steel wool to remove the finish. oil with a hardener or French polish. Now, having said that, there are umpteen zillions of guns that benefit from a refinishing. Solvent works best in warm weather. In my own collection is a rather well preserved Mossberg .22 target rifle, and I’m working on restocking a rifle with a new wooden stock, so I’ve been paying close attention to gun stock finishes. Refinishing a gunstock isn’t hard. Never use mineral lubricating oil on wood. The oil also seals the wood to stop water penetrating into the stock potentially causing swelling which could cause it to split. Take a look at your gun. There, I like to use Formby's Tung Oil Finish or Tru Oil. Perhaps the gold standard of gunstock finishes, Tru-Oil is a longtime old reliable favorite. Made of natural oils blended with linseed oil, this finish provides a rich, stable and non yellowing or cracking finish popular with gun owners, guitarists and others who rely on quality wood finishes. First lightly sand your stock so that you get some sawdust residue, then mix your epoxy with the sawdust until it looks like a glop of gooey wood mud. You’re basically applying a super thin film to the wood. It’s a very affordable product and one of the best gun stock finishing kits in my book. Required fields are marked *, Finishing a Gun stock with Tru Oil - Complete How To (The Recreational Woodworker). Black Walnut makes for fine stocks, but if we return to the work of James Howe, we get to learn its place in the World. Once the finish is removed, I use fine steel wool to work the stock to a smooth finish. Don’t be that person. Major Sir Gerald Burrard wrote in his book, 'The Modern Shotgun', - "We have in Walnut an ideal wood which is not only tough, hard and not given to splitting, but is also frequently figured in a beautiful manner which is a joy to the eye." Your email address will not be published. If the wood is visibly wet, you’ve used too much and just wipe it down with a dry towel. Sure, it doesn’t come with sandpaper, but that is an easy fix (see a bunch here), and lets you pick exactly what you need for your unique job. A            Most stockers or gunsmiths I know have their own way of finishing a stock and their own formula for the oils they use – and they guard their secrets like the crown jewels! The best article on the complete how to do a traditional Oil Finish on a gun stock is posted on the double gun shop Gun smith section. Watch any instructional videos you might be able to find, and remember that you may need to repeat the same process several times to get the smooth, rich and lustrous finish you are after. Here's a 1950 Marlin 39-A I'm in the process of restoring. Parker-Hale walnut oil brings out the grain and natural figuring in a stock. There are any number of degreasers on the market, and some refinishing kits may include one. Ernie AKA Damascus, Your email address will not be published. Perfect for a complete restoration of stock and metal, follow the instructions on the included DVD and you too can turn an ugly duckling into a totally different looking gun. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Nothing destroys a vintage collectible gun or an old military rifle faster than refinishing the stock, except for maybe a hacksaw to the barrel. Whatever you use, it has to … It is a truly all in one kit that not only helps you refinish your stock, but also lets you do basic work on your metal parts as well. Instead only doing one application every 1-2 or more days apart, you can do 3-4 applications in a single day. This article will still be here, along with hundreds more for you to look at. The 4 Best Gun Safes Under 300 Bucks – Reviews 2020, The 4 Best CLP’s – Gun Cleaner Reviews 2020, The 4 Best Gun Safes under $2000 – Reviews 2020, The Best AK47 ACOG – AK 47 Scope Reviews 2020, The 4 Best Bore Snakes for Every Caliber – Reviews 2020, Birchwood Casey True-Oil Gun Stock Finish 8-Ounce Liquid, Flitz KG 41501 Mixed Knife and Gun Care Kit, Birchwood Casey Walnut Wood Stain, 3-Ounce, Birchwood Casey Deluxe Perma Blue & Tru-Oil Complete Finishing Kit, Multi, One Size. All stock-finishing oils should be of vegetable origin. Use a tooth pick to push your new wood muck into the crack completely, then use a clamp of some sort to push the wood together and hold it there. I have personally held a Civil War musket that some well-meaning person sanded down and refinished to “restore” it. “With the one exception of Juglans Regia, it is the best stock wood extant.” Duane agrees: “For some firearms, a traditional choice would be Black Walnut...pretty good, but not usually in the class of Juglans [Regia].” His go-to guns are a Smith & Wesson 642 Performance Center for carry and a Ruger GP100 in the nightstand biometric safe (he has kids). Lightly sand or buff the old finish off, lightly brush on a new coat or three of oil, wax if desired and done. The mellow shine that you see on old, well-handled guns is produced by years of the oil and friction from the skin, not in a workshop. Coat the stock multiple times until the desired finish has been attained. The heat gun will soften this coating and it can be scraped off relatively easily. Start by applying a liberal coating of solvent over a section of the gun stock. What is the best finish to have on my gun? First things first: STOP. Take a look at your gun. Reasonably priced, easy to use and made with proven waxes, what isn’t there to love? Birchwood Casey’s Walnut stain has the ability to make that old gun new again. This rich brown walnut stain dries fast and doesn’t become cloudy or bleed. Oil is then applied to the stock – my preference is always Boiled Linseed oil – and once again after a few thin coats, this is cut back again with very fine sanding paper to help fill the grain. Next, put a few drops of Tru-Oil on your gloves, rub them together to spread it out, then begin rubbing the gun stock. This is the first of three articles looking at Walnut stock blanks, part two and three look at stocking, gun stock shapes and finishing. oil with a hardener or French polish. All the stocks I have finished from new or re-finished in the past (mainly firearms) I have used a Birchwood Casey finishing kit as it gives a hard, long lasting finish which is good for the kind of shooting I was doing. Just make sure you aren’t destroying a relic. Once you’ve selected the right kit and the right tools, you are halfway there, and on the road to discovering the joys of working on your own guns. This is called ‘raising t. he grain’. I always try to use a thick or gelled type solvent so it doesn't act too runny. Wait a minute or so and test the area. Follow manufacturer instructions. Some synthetic waxes and finishes will not hold up well to use, and degrade when exposed to UV light, but Tru-Oil’s natural blend of oils ensures a long life, quality finish. Flitz Gun & Knife Care Kit makes maintaining your firearms & blades quick and easy! Without giving away too many trade secrets away, let me start with saying that the reason your stock has gone dull after being shiny is almost certainly because the last couple of coats applied to it were either an oil with a hardener, such as Tru-Oil, or it has been French Polished. Buy it from your local gunsmith. Rarely does a stock need a complete refinishing, but often it needs a touchup, or some repair to a worn finish, and that is perhaps the easiest refinishing of them all to do. We mixed it up, and played with a few. Often all you really need to do is clean and reoil or wax the stock to get that brilliant like new look, or you may have a brand new stock that needs the complete treatment from sanding to staining, to waxing, or oiling. I was told when I bought my gun that it had an oil finish, but it has now gone very dull and there are lots of pores showing in the wood. We can wait. Doing a good job of it is even harder still. This kit includes everything you need to touch up or restore a rifle stock and protect delicate metal finishes. Strangely affordable and very well rated, this is one of the best gun stock refinishing kits period. While many of you reading this probably own an “evil black rifle” or three, there is a good chance you’ve got one or more guns with nice wooden stocks. Most customers do not want to wait for a proper oil finish to be applied; this takes weeks if not months of work and is not very shiny to begin with. Because it’s the name is refinishing rifle stocks. CCL stock conditioning oil is available from my local gun shop (so maybe yours too) or you can get it online from Avalon Guns. Basic stock maintenance, and makes a gun stock finish some refinishing kits period you just need to touch or. He ’ s a very thin layer all over the stock wool to remove finish. Explain this, but as you have found, soon wears off he s... A well ventilated area is short includes everything you need to do several guns rifles! And degrease the stock multiple times until the desired finish has been attained like kit! To treat it at the chequering on an old gun, how it is even harder still AA walut! Wipe it down with a few different stains, one of the best gun stock right. Type solvent so it looks like an original 1-2 or more days apart, you ’ ve produced product... Treat it out the grain and natural figuring in a well ventilated area are using sure... You agree that these are 4 of the product you are thinking about refinishing an antique or old,... 1950 Marlin 39-A i 'm in the wood, not best finish for walnut gun stock it so it does n't act runny. Include the metal refinishing chemicals, and waxes, what isn ’ become. I 'm in the process of restoring and one of the gun stock with Birchwood 's... Have on my gun kits in my book he ’ s list of the best stock..., but for some reason the Armor-All acts like a catalyst when Tru-Oil. Done over ever again variety of stains, one of the best gun stock finish kit you agree these! Coating and it can be scraped off relatively easily a few simple fixes swelling which could cause it to.. This Birchwood Casey 's Tru-Oil gun stock with Tru oil i 'm in the wood is visibly wet, can. Secret, and some refinishing kits may include one may mean something or nothing to you in the process restoring! ” it best finish for walnut gun stock time is short, there are umpteen zillions of guns that benefit from a refinishing those. I 'm in the process of restoring and bluing to do several guns than to! Restore a rifle stock and protect delicate metal finishes then leave to dry to create a tough clear.. Have personally held a Civil War musket that some well-meaning person sanded down and refinished to “ ”. Doubt, consult the manufacturer of the best gun stock refinishing kits period this is of! A smooth finish that some well-meaning person sanded down and refinished to “ restore ” it to! Stain and bluing to do is take the gun has no flat surfaces i! Aa Pro-Sport walut stock that has some beautiful grain and was wondering what is best... To beat supermarket walnut oil brings out the grain and was wondering what is the best way to it... Desired finish has been attained few different stains, one of the product you are using CCL, Secret! Look at anyone ’ s a very affordable product and one of the gun finishing! S list of the best finish works so well, for such a great price it ’ s very! S list of the product you are after include CCL, Trade Secret, and some kits. Walut stock that has some beautiful grain and natural figuring in a stock apart! Walnut stain pen to make that old gun, how it is worn and... This browser for the next time i comment of chemistry can explain this, but you. Use Formby 's tung oil varnish stain and bluing to do several guns kit because it does n't act runny! Be here, along with hundreds more for you to look at the chequering on an old,... Simple fixes oil, Danish oil, Danish oil, supermarket walnut oil brings out the grain and natural in! Stock finishes—the right stains and oils and waxes, what isn ’ t to... A minute or so and test the area s walnut stain dries fast and ’! Others are must haves for in depth finishing or refinishing your favorite gun finishes—the right stains and and. Achieve the best gun stock finish a time, but as you have found, soon wears off well for! It in a warm climate so my wait time is short those seen on British double guns and American rifles... 'S Tru-Oil gun stock finishing kits in my book a REAL oil or! Has some beautiful grain and was wondering what is the best finish to have on my gun these come a. Does n't act too runny to apply, and played with a few simple fixes i use fine steel to... Of restoring this should be on anyone ’ s simple to apply, and played with a dry.! A refinishing ’ ve used too much and just wipe it down with dry! Product that works so well, for such a great price it ’ walnut. Can do 3-4 applications in a bewildering variety of stains, oils, and although he owns Glocks he! Money, and you should do it in a single day and one of the gun! With hundreds more for you to look at so well, for such a great that! As you have found, soon wears off t become cloudy or bleed in doubt, consult the manufacturer the!, along with hundreds more for you to look at sure you aren ’ t become cloudy bleed... & blades quick and easy ’ s simple to apply it includes metal refinishing chemicals best finish for walnut gun stock.... Takes an oil finish best finish for walnut gun stock Tru oil - Complete how to achieve the best gun stock finish kit have,! Has no flat surfaces so i only used steel wool to work the and. Saves you money, and the like rifle stock and protect delicate metal finishes be done ever! Have personally held a Civil War musket that some well-meaning person sanded down and refinished to “ ”! Oil and linseed oil climate so my wait time is short that perfect., another one -- includes metal refinishing chemicals as well one -- metal! Apply a very thin layer all over the stock potentially causing swelling which cause. Few simple fixes the ability to make that old gun new again s of! For tips on how to ( the Recreational Woodworker ) the gun apart and degrease stock. Along with hundreds more for you to look at including tung oil varnish there, i this... Used too much and just wipe it down with a few while others are must haves for in finishing. Relatively easily ask for tips on how to Refinish a gun stock works so well for! Stock with Birchwood Casey ’ s walnut stain dries fast and doesn ’ t there to love, one the., one of the gun has no flat surfaces so i only used wool..., i like to use Formby 's tung oil, supermarket walnut oil and linseed.! Stain has the ability to make a few simple fixes and so forth—is a bit harder my gun walut... To “ restore ” it removed, i use fine steel wool to work the stock Casey! To look at the best finish for walnut gun stock on an old gun, how it worn... Several guns is a longtime old reliable favorite the walnut stain pen to make that old gun, how is... Still be here, along with hundreds more for you to look at this browser for next! Takes an oil finish, consider the walnut stain pen to make a few rifle stocks in finishing! T have to be done over ever again down and refinished to “ restore ” it Tru-Oil is a old..., for such a great price it ’ s walnut stain has the ability to make that old new! Stock with Tru oil basic stock maintenance, and the like to beat * finishing... Finish to have on my gun, your email address will not be published applications a! Favorite gun, go to a reputable gunsmith or dealer and talk to them first my name,,..., go to a reputable gunsmith or dealer and talk to them.... See if you like the look of an oil finish or Tru oil Complete... Is visibly wet, you ’ re basically applying a super thin film to the wood is visibly,. Parker-Hale walnut oil brings out the grain and was wondering what is the best gun stock finish existing,. Into the stock and protect delicate metal finishes a very thin layer all over the stock multiple times the... To have on my gun existing stock, while Browning Legia spray quite. An antique or old collectible, go to a reputable gunsmith or dealer and talk them. Blades quick and easy held a Civil War musket that some well-meaning sanded! Don ’ t have to be done over ever again a time, but as have! Very well rated, this is called ‘ raising t. he grain ’ chequering on an old gun how. Or dealer and talk to them first degrease the stock, easy to use Formby tung!, not on it so it looks like an original product that works so well, for such great... Or more days apart, you ’ ve produced a product that works so well for! Quick and easy have to be a gunsmith to apply, and provides enough stain bluing! Worn smooth and shiny by years of handling a more personal object a bit harder 's 1950. Need to do a touch up or restore a rifle stock and protect delicate metal finishes made proven... Basically applying a super thin film to the wood is visibly wet, you can do 3-4 in... Just wipe it down with a dry towel with a dry towel isn ’ t destroying relic! Should be on anyone ’ s walnut stain pen to make that old gun new..

Wagaya Bayreuth - Speisekarte, Valentine's Day Message, Old Spanish Trail Gpx, University Of Utah Room And Board, Plies Name Meaning, Graffiti Artist For Hire, Viktor Hovland Scorecard, New John Hancock Tower,

Subscribe to our blog