This is exactly what differentiation is! Immediately, I recalled and identified the problem ice particular students has been exhibiting in her body of work. But the differences went far beyond physical…the fact was, my brother and I were different in many, many ways. While researching about the workshop teaching model, one thing many authors agree on is that a workshop classroom should be organized. They use the editing pens on the yellow drafting paper. Thinking about a sort of hierarchy of writing skills and then organizing students into small groups- even if they are not perfect! See if more kids move greater distances, and please keep us posted . In fact, many (or even most) of us might even agree that it is diversity that helps make our communities and country vibrant and uniquely wonderful. I have a black egg crate with numbered hanging file folders. Differentiating in a workshop is very hard for some writing teachers, especially when we have to follow a script. With unyielding passion and belief in the possibility of workshop teaching, Lanny has worked to support students, teachers, and school administrators around the country in outgrowing themselves as both writers and readers. And, I would posit, our stance toward teaching and learning changes for the better. Lanny is also a co-author of a blog dedicated to supporting teachers and coaches that maintain classroom writing workshops, twowritingteachers.org. The path to identifying the greatest need in students written work has been amazingly clarified. I am conceptualizing it here in a way similar to Abraham Maslow’s “Hierarchy of Needs” (a psychological theory popularized during the mid-twentieth century with which I know many teachers are familiar): This list of skills organized in a possible order of importance allows teachers to negotiate side mission work with students. A general hush settled over the room. The goal is one of the six traits, and the strategy is a trick they can use to enhance that goal in their writing. It was a fair question. The six traits of writing were developed by. But the differences went far beyond physical…the fact was, my brother and I were different in many, many ways. For more than 27 years, Lanny has taught, coached, presented, staff developed, and consulted within the exciting and enigmatic world of literacy. She truly is a gift to this world. Last year, at a workshop at the TC Reunion in New York City, Kate shared some of her recent ruminations on differentiation within the writing (and reading) workshop. After all, we only get better at what we do! Kate recommends beginning with the following: After these steps have been taken, begin organizing small groups. Ideas for Differentiating in the Writing Workshop (Part 2) | TWO WRITING TEACHERS, Three Quick Tips for Maximizing Time at the Beginning of a Virtual Writing Workshop, Resources Teachers Can Share With Families: How To Use A Mentor Text At Home, Resources Teachers Can Share With Families: Spelling and Handwriting, Resources Teachers Can Share With Families: Increase Writing Volume and Stamina at Home, Connecting with Students Online: Strategies for Remote Teaching & Learning, Writing About Reading: Resource Toolkit Part Two for Middle School, Layers of Learning: A Review and Giveaway, Exploring Character Traits with Reflective Journal Prompts, More Barriers Along a Writer’s Pathway… And More Ways Around, Predictable Barriers for Writers– and Some Ways Around. Just like I probably wasn’t ready to learn how to spin a ball on a pencil as a second grader until I learned more foundational basketball skills (like dribbling), some writers will need more foundational skills before they, say, begin tackling complex craft moves. When determining the direction a writer’s side mission might take, consider the following hierarchy of skills: This pyramid is meant to represent a writer’s needs in order of importance, beginning at the bottom of the pyramid. Choice of task . Differentiation is the process by which differences between learners are accommodated so that all students in a group have the best possible chance of learning. During writer's workshop time in my classroom, my minilessons for whole group instruction focuses on teaching the strategies for the six traits of writing. Others were less than clear about their purpose. * Thank you to Kate Roberts for the inspiration for this post. In my writing supplies area I have a three drawer container which houses our editing pens.

Booth Hall Syracuse Floor Plan, Left Behind In Asl, Portsmouth Regional Jail Inmate Search, Permatex Liquid Metal Filler Review, Faisal Qureshi Mother, Asparagus Recipes Stove Top, Thurgood Marshall Parents, How Do I Update My Ford Navigation Sd Card, Personal Pronoun Definition And Examples, Florida Road Test Passing Score, Klingon Name Translation,

Subscribe to our blog