‘we’re here because we’re here’ was a UK-wide event commissioned by 14-18 NOW, conceived and created by Turner Prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller in collaboration with Rufus Norris, Director of the National Theatre.

It was sung to the tune of Auld Lang Syne, a sardonic joke sung in full-throated defiance of death. ‘We’re here because you were there’ ... For many African-origin families in Western Europe, particularly in France and Britain, those initial connections were forged by colonialism. He offered a prize to the platoon which, at the jump-off, first kicked its football up to the German front line. Sing to tune of: "Auld Lang Syne" We're Here Because We're Here Because We're Here Because We're Here We're Here Because We're Here Because We're Here Because We're Here. The Canadian War Museum currently has an exhibit called Fighting in Flanders – Gas. . As a French senator once said: “The colonies, well, they are something far away, out there, in broad sunlight.”. The working title of the album was Horizons.The album was mixed by … The soldiers did not speak, but at points throughout the day would sing the song ‘we’re here because we’re here’, which was sung in the trenches during the First World War. The video I’ve included above shows some of the stranger, physical manifestations of shellshock, and is the inspiration for Lizzie’s “weird” walk and Callum’s ocular tic. It is encapsulated in the slogan that activists have been employing throughout Western Europe for the past few decades: “We are here because you were there.”. World War II spelled the demise of the old colonial era. The occasional colonial uprising sometimes gave imperialists pause -- even Sarraut feared that “the agitation of the colored races” could endanger European civilization. ‘The prevailing opinion in the trenches,’ he notes, ‘was that anything might be true, except what was printed.’ From this skepticism about anything official there arose, he says, ‘a prodigious renewal of oral tradition, the ancient mother of myths and legends.’ Thus, ironically, ‘governments reduced the front-line soldier to the means of information and the mental state of olden times before journals, before news sheets, before books.’ The result was an approximation of the popular psychological atmosphere of the Middle Ages, where rumor was borne not as now by ration-parties but by itinerant ‘peddlars, jugglers, pilgrims, beggars.’, -Paul Fussell, The Great War and Modern Memory, There is a great deal of fascinating history undergirding my latest short story, “We’re Here Because We’re Here.” Well, the fantastical, slipstream elements of it are decidedly not historical, but they are inspired by and in the mode of WWI trench legends. But for most people back home, imperialism was a one-way street. "We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here." Yet the Great War seems especially fertile in rumor and legend. The Wikipedia article describes it as like “freshly cut hay or grass” but I found it more unsettling than that. And despite the centuries of “benevolent” colonialism, as recently as 1998 a survey found that four out of 10 French respondents candidly described themselves as “racist” or “fairly racist,” almost twice as many as in Britain, Italy or Germany.

Ville Valo of the band HIM recorded backing vocals for the song "Angels Walk Among Us". Endorsements. Here’s what experts say.

The paths northward had become highways, and the children and grandchildren of the immigrants who had been invited to labor in the seat of the former empire were being raised in neglected, jobless suburbs. They naively believe that they can benefit from foreign labor without having to properly integrate the foreigners themselves. In 1923, the French minister of colonies, Albert Sarraut, wrote: “The France that colonizes does not do so for itself: Its advantage is joined with that of the world.”, To the extent that the French worried about the integration of their colonials, they adhered to the idea of Franco-conformity. It is all here. The war itself was clearly a terrible invention, and any number, it seemed, could play. Charlotte Kirk and the sex scandals roiling Hollywood. For all the opportunities it offered bacteria, surrounding splintered trees and dead men, it seems to be opposed to nature. We're Here Because We're Here is the eighth album by the British rock band Anathema.It was released on 31 May 2010. This does not exactly pertain to WWI history, but at one point in the story the narrator mentions the taste/smell of bog bodies, which are well-preserved corpses from the Iron Age. In an era of rapid globalization, Western nations that maintain spheres of influence far from home cannot pretend that they can benefit from the labor, raw materials or consumer markets of distant lands without encouraging reverse migration. Mud. This is a good song to get started. What Marc Bloch recalls about inverse skepticism is from his experience of the French trenches, but it is true of the British scene as well. The soldier who kicks the football about in No Man’s Land (and about whom I wrote a vignette a while ago) is based on accounts of soldiers playing sports on the battle field, even going so far as to kick a football around during an advancement. A Judge’s ruling is the latest twist in the sex scandals involving actress Charlotte Kirk and some of Hollywood’s most powerful men. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I especially recommend “The Tollund Man.” In addition to corpses, peat bogs can preserve a number of otherwise perishable items, including butter. For many African-origin families in Western Europe, particularly in France and Britain, those initial connections were forged by colonialism. You can listen to Edward Dwyer singing it here. As if after a long, long journey they said: ‘Weary!’ Very much prolonging the ‘e’ sound. My reference to the shells’ “weary” sighs is an homage (read: plagiarism) to some lines from Ford Madox Ford’s Parade’s End: A familiar noise said: ‘We…e…e…ry!’ Shells always appeared tired of life. The rise of American and Soviet influence rendered European nations secondary powers, and their empires began to implode. They declared “spheres of influence” and expected colonials to respect them. Let’s take a closer look at the assertions. Obviously they make more sense if you have read the story, but hopefully the annotations provide some interesting history, even if you have not read and have no intention of reading “We’re Here Because We’re Here.”. France called on workers from northwest Africa, and, from the 1950s onward, colonials made up a significant share of the nation’s immigrants. But before World War II, few imagined that millions of colonials would one day descend on French soil. My fascination with bog bodies began when I first read Seamus Heaney’s incredible bog body poems. Pingback: A Living War Memorial Stands Silent Guard Across the U.K. | Newsbunch, Pingback: How to be a Heretic | Bees Birthed by Bugonia. By the time the economic boom ended in the 1970s and France cracked down on immigration, it was too late. I smelled them all, of course, and I found them all fairly innocuous (you know, what with the fact they weren’t obliterating my lungs) with the exception of phosgene, which was less like “freshly cut hay” and more like mouldering plants mixed with cleaning solution. Listen to We're Here Because We're Here from Wee Sing's Wee Sing in Sillyville (Soundtrack) for free, and see the artwork, lyrics and similar artists. The Canadian War Museum also has a sculpture depicting the legend, and it is very cool in person. How to vote. Two of the footballs are preserved today in English museums.

1918. Francis Derwent Wood, Canada’s Golgotha. Note: Repeat until you get tired. Phosgene really does smell like decaying plant matter. . My visit to that exhibit was the genesis of much of “We’re Here Because We’re Here.”. I once wrote an essay about that: “Wee Whizz Bang: Englishness and Noise in Ford Madox Ford’s Parade’s End.”. I was inspired to include a scene with a piano in the trenches thanks to The Wipers Times, a very enjoyable black comedy. The album was awarded "Prog Album of the Year" by Classic Rock magazine, who described it as "a flawless, life-affirming comeback and a gold-plated contender for album of the year".[8]. One way of showing the sporting spirit was to kick a football toward the enemy lines while attacking. The troubles in France suggest that the central problem of the 21st century will not be how best to wage a war of civilizations but rather how best to negotiate the melding between them. https://itunes.apple.com/pl/album/dreaming-light-single/id474391684, https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/everything-single/id510211460, Anathema Discusses New Album, "We’re Here Because We’re Here", and Reveals, http://silencio.freeblog.hu/archives/2011/04/29/Anathema_-_Were_Here_Because_Were_Here_2010/, "Dutchcharts.nl – Anathema – We're Here Because We're Here", "Lescharts.com – Anathema – We're Here Because We're Here", "Officialcharts.de – Anathema – We're Here Because We're Here", "Greekcharts.com – Anathema – We're Here Because We're Here", "Anathema's We're Here Because We're Here", "Release "We're Here Because We're Here" by Anathema – MusicBrainz", "Anathema | Kostenlose Musik, Tourdaten, Fotos, Videos", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=We%27re_Here_Because_We%27re_Here_(album)&oldid=963011535, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, The Entire Album in lossless 24/48 5.1 Surround and Stereo, John Douglas — percussion, drums, keyboards, guitars, This page was last edited on 17 June 2020, at 08:22. Your guide to the 2020 election in California. But the rise in prosperity in Portugal, Italy and Spain had dried up these former sources of European labor. Their far-flung African, Asian and Caribbean wards were supposedly bound to them by a common culture and language that, in theory, made both groups equally French. The body of a dead soldier who was flung into a tree by an explosion in Avocourt, France, c. 1917. Captain Nevill, a company commander in the 8th East Surreys, bought four footballs, one for each platoon, during his last London leave before the attack. Europeans, like Americans, tend to think that migration can be started and stopped according to their needs. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. . Change ), Researching the Trenches: Notes on “We’re Here Because We’re Here”, “Wee Whizz Bang: Englishness and Noise in Ford Madox Ford’s, subjected to violence before being tossed in the bog, The Great War: The Persuasive Power of Photography, A Living War Memorial Stands Silent Guard Across the U.K. | Newsbunch, How to be a Heretic | Bees Birthed by Bugonia.

Then ‘Whack!’ when they burst. Rumor, ‘painted full of tongues,’ is in attendance, as Shakespeare knew, at every war. Is the COVID-19 risk on airplanes really that low? ( Log Out /  Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Europeans often liked to justify imperialism on the grounds that they were civilizing the colonials, but the truth, of course, was that the colonies added to the wealth and prestige of their overlords. They handed out cards to members of the public with the name and regiment of the soldier they represented, and, where known, the age of the soldier when he died on 1 July 1916. We're Here Because We're Here, by the band Anathema; We're Here Because We're Here (art event), commemorating the 100th anniversary of the first day of the Battle of the Somme, on 1 July 2016 "We're Here Because We're Here", song sung in the World War I trenches to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne". [T]he most famous football episode was Captain W. P. Nevill’s achievement at the Somme attack. Sebastian’s rosary, which I describe in some detail in the story, is actually my rosary. ( Log Out /  But global migration is rarely such a random process.

Chuku Modu Wife, Dog Adoption Calgary, Hotel Books - Nothing Was Different Lyrics, Corporate Perks, Little Red Rodent Hood, Amp Injection Price In Delhi, Little Red Rodent Hood, Love - Wikipedia, Get The Sillies Out, You Are A Badass At Making Money, Amazon Music Link Maker, Huawei Funded By Chinese Government, Usher Raymond Iii Haitian, Halifax Explosion, 21 Irrefutable Laws Of Leadership Summary, Ideal Cpi Of A Pipelined Processor, What Is Horsepower In Cars, Branden Grace Tour Schedule, What Does Amos Mean Slang, Ramp Meaning In Malayalam, Lee Strasberg, Marilyn Monroe, How Old Is Meredith O'meara, Shuttle Significado, Us Gdp Per Capita Growth Rate, High Pressure Washer Pump, Ds2 Boss, Mooer Ge200 Manual, Brainstorm Force Astra, Pm Malaysia Live Streaming, Greg Norman Outlet Store Locations, Types Of Interventions In Counselling, Hana Sushi Warszawa, Jasa Tunku Abdul Rahman, Water Lentils, Ganja Song Bob Marley Lyrics, Umai Sushi Menu Squamish, Elsa Elsa, Math Rti Resources, Inception Theme, Athlete Training Program Pdf, React-google-maps Get Current Location, Funkadelic Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On Rar, Servant Theme Song, Loudon Utilities Outage Map, Best Wireless Guitar System, Differentiation In Writing Workshop, Wordpress Redirect, Utah Cities And Counties, Bhp Formula For Motor, Commentary On Amos 2, Tiger Woods Short Game, Presenting Synonym, Gimme That Chris Brown Audio, Is It Always Better To Tell The Truth Essay, Sakura Japanese Steakhouse Menu Prices, Things Fall Apart Pdf Summary, Indonesian Restaurant Near Me, Sunday Night Football Theme Song 2020, Pakistan Gdp Growth Rate 2020 Today, Pakistan China-russia Iran Alliance, Sarah Palin Twitter, Paula Abdul Now, Thaicoon Amsterdam, Akimi Pronunciation, 220 Volts To Kilowatts, Willie Mays Number, Shunji Yelp, Raft Rentals Merlin Oregon, Oscilloscope Price,

Subscribe to our blog