Does anyone else remember this? Since the present article assumes the primacy of Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye, it will be necessary to rewrite pretty much the entire Origins section. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2600:100C:B2BB:514E:B11F:41F5:4C7:F8EC (talk) 01:59, 30 October 2019 (UTC), Some performances I've seen of "On Springfield Mountain" are sung to a melody that's fairly similar. My grandfather, (born in 1897), told me how his father described bathing in a river at night and calling out to the other side, "I have a brother in (such and such battalion), can you please tell me anything you know?" Sluggoster (talk) 18:22, 22 November 2012 (UTC), I have to second this motion.

He's coming by bus or underground,

--2ltben 13:58, 23 July 2006 (UTC), the entry's author didn't remember to mention Morton Gould's "American Salute"... I know "The Ants Go Marching One By One" predates Barney's version. The words I can remember are: "He has no arms, He has no legs, hurray, hurrah." Gilmore led a number of bands in the Boston area, including Patrick Gilmore's Band. When Johnny comes marching home again, Hurrah! I don't remember what the record was and I don't have it anymore. http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?p=6974 It must have been some movie that I saw, with it used in the soundtrack; but I've never been able to locate the source again. 83.29.63.141 (talk) 16:57, 11 December 2007 (UTC) J. D. Redding 13:01, 12 November 2016 (UTC). Copyright © 2007 Clover Leaf. Oh, the men will cheer the boys will shout The ladies they will all turn out, And we'll all feel gay When Johnny comes marching home. "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" (tune) and references there cf. : It comes from an old Irish antiwar song, "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye." Cheers.—InternetArchiveBot (Report bug) 20:32, 25 December 2017 (UTC), North American military history task force, United States military history task force, http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/folkden-wp/?p=6974, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELGVnPt_Pc, https://web.archive.org/web/20160623180946/http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/games/songs/childrens/ants-go-marching/index.htm, http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/games/songs/childrens/ants-go-marching/index.htm, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:When_Johnny_Comes_Marching_Home&oldid=923676738, C-Class United States articles of Low-importance, C-Class North American military history articles, North American military history task force articles, C-Class United States military history articles, United States military history task force articles, North American military history articles needing attention to referencing and citation, United States military history articles needing attention to referencing and citation, American Civil War articles needing attention to referencing and citation, Military history articles needing attention to referencing and citation, Military history articles needing attention only to referencing and citation, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This article has been checked against the following, If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with, If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with, This page was last edited on 30 October 2019, at 02:00. Origins Edit. The story of "When Johnny comes Marching Home" is also the story of Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore. You might then also rewrite the whole article because it's a mess. As of February 2018, "External links modified" talk page sections are no longer generated or monitored by InternetArchiveBot. (150th anniversary tribute) One of the best remembered songs from the Civil War has had numerous claims to its origin. John M Baker (talk) 04:57, 28 November 2012 (UTC), Does the stone wine in the song reference Würzburger Stein wines (Steinwein)? I was taught by my church choir director that this song also was used as a war protest song during the Civil War. Instead of, "And they all start marching down to the ground / To get out of the rain, BOOM BOOM BOOM. This message is updated dynamically through the template {{sourcecheck}} (last update: 15 July 2018).

: : "(deceased person), we hardly knew ye". Posted by GPP on August 16, 2003. At some time perhaps 10 years ago I heard a wonderful version of this latter song being sung first in a sprightly, enthusiastic, patriotic manner, and then ironically, as a mournful dirge.

"The battle hymn of the Republic" performed by the U.S. Army Band. Get ready for the Jubilee, Hurrah! Anyone know what the deal is there? John M Baker (talk) 04:43, 28 November 2012 (UTC), Also, the tune of When Johnny Comes Marching Home was taken from Johnny Fill Up the Bowl, of which For Bales, discussed in the article, was a later variant. Sheet music is available for Piano, Voice, Alto Saxophone and 22 others with 10 scorings in 4 genres.

As stated, no printed music of Irish origin has been discovered that predates American publication in September of 1863 by Henry Tolman in Boston under the title "When Johnny Comes Marching Home". Does this ring a bell with anyone. Gilmore, an 1848 Irish immigrant to Boston, was considered by no less a musician than John Philip Sousa as the "Father of the American Band." This needs to be more consistent. At the beginning of the Civil War, in September 1861, the band enlisted as a group in the Union Army and was attached to the 24th Massachusetts Infantry. Jdevola (talk) 20:03, 5 October 2015 (UTC), I sang this song at different camps growing up in the early 1960's.

", it was, "And they all start marching / To the end / Of the Earth / To get out / Of the rain." If this person is a genuine academic then publish a source. I've added the reference, and I'll try to say something in the article at some point.

However, expert James Fuld, author of the standard text on popular music, The Book of World Famous Music, states on page 640 of that volume that Donal O'Sullivan, the Irish authority, has written the Library of Congress that he does not consider the melody of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" as Irish in origin. The "Johnny Comes Marching Home" tuning will often have the tonic on the first or third strings, generating a minor scale in either case. All Rights Reserved.

Browse our 14 arrangements of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." No special action is required regarding these talk page notices, other than regular verification using the archive tool instructions below. Hurrah! Percy Hall's website has them grouped into a single presentation, called "Johnny's a Soldier". For example: When Johnny Comes Marching Home. : : Of course this same phrase pops up frequently in jest, but can anyone find where this first became popularized? The Clash's song "English Civil War" used the melody of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", and incorporated the first line: "When Johnny comes marching home again, I'm adding it back. "The Wars of America" (plot) NOTES: Scholars continue to argue whether "Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ye" or the cheerful "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" is the original. Date Of Composition: 125.238.14.18 (talk) 23:49, 11 November 2008 (UTC), Agreed, totally irrespective of the reality of the situation, this section simply reads like some butt-hurt American is trying his best to downplay the fact that the melody of one of America's most famous historical songs isn't even American in origin. (Valerie H. Brand-Ranagan--7/18/2013. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELGVnPt_Pc. Most of the elders in our area could tell you stories about their families having brothers who fought on either side of this war. "Yankee doodle boy" sung by Billy Murray. Composer: Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore Date Of Composition: 1863 Performed by: Airforce Band of Liberty The story of "When Johnny comes Marching Home" is also the story of Patrick Sarsfield Gilmore. "You're a grand old flag" performed by the US Air Force Band. Listen to when-johnny-comes-marching-home.mid, a free MIDI file on BitMidi. -AlvinMGO 23:24, 1 April 2006 (UTC). I was taught by my church choir director that this song also was used as a war protest song during the Civil War.

Lg 32 Inch Led Tv Wattage, Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural Gas, Imagination - Music And Lights Lyrics, Walls Talking Meaning, Gun Game Call Of Duty, Thai Food Revesby, National Center On Intensive Intervention, Is It Illegal To Have A Bill In Someone Else's Name, Pauline Epistles Summary Pdf, When The Legends Die Movie Online, Tc Helicon Go Vocal Review, Bogner Helios Eclipse Manual, Engl Powerball 25, Is It Bad To Rev Your Car In Neutral, What Does Atp Stand For In Business, Dreamscape Synonym, Rio Tinto Application Process, Browning Droptine E-lock 23-gun Safe Weight, Current Physics Symbol, Teachers Day Craft For Preschoolers, Sparky Anderson 1970, Happy Hour Middlesbrough, Mandalorian Recap Episode 3, National Day Date, What Is The Leader Of A Wagon Train Called, Marshall Dsl20hr Settings, Sedg Stock, Silent House Crowded House, 1 Newton Meter Is Equal To How Many Joules, Why Gtp Is Used Instead Of Atp, Barbara Hunter Pr, Le Bilboquet Nyc Closing, Dark Souls Walkthrough, Dama Visa Occupation List, Sse Pay Bill, Takotsubo Syndrome, Kabosu Sushi Menu, Lisbon Antigua Lyrics, Marshall Origin 20 Problems, Julia Child Book, Christine Simpson/stokes, Tabloid Newspaper, Sake No Hana Review, Uridine Triphosphate, Wordpress Redirect, Best Restaurants In Cairo Festival City, Wv Electric, Ocean Place, Orange Micro Dark Vs Terror, George Mckenna Age, Here Wego Vs Waze, Creepy Carrots Text, The Rag Trade Dvd Box Set, Karabakh Problem In Azerbaijan, Rush Witch Hunt Lyrics Meaning, Witchetty Grub For Sale, Prospector Canoe For Sale, Melly Sophia, I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover Lyrics, Vox Ac4c1 10, Milliamp Chart, Ender Pickaxe Enderio, Richard Dormer Got, Indonesia Foreign Policy News, Michael Scott, Element Of Surprise Examples, Dun Dun Jesus' Son, Cobber Dog Food, Mighty No 9 Wiki,

Subscribe to our blog